News   Apr 23, 2024
 310     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 895     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 494     0 

Toronto Bike Share

Second thought: Martin Goodman Trail would become a horror-show.
More so than it is now...

Interesting article. The reader comments have a lot of info. Example:
Lomifeh
Ahh. Just checked, they are actually illegal in NYC as of now. That means the ride sharing bit won’t be happening anytime soon. I’m glad they are actually considering the number of people on the sidewalks it would be bad.
Posted on Sep 21, 2018 | 9:00 AM
darrsil
The problem is also that they haven’t figured out what to do in cold winter cities like NYC or Chicago. Cold will sap the batteries and/or the wheels will freeze up, not to mention the issue of icy roads.
Posted on Sep 21, 2018 | 3:17 PM
The electric scooter craze is officially one year old — what’s next?

I imagine expanding into winter cities like Toronto is still going to be a challenge for them, but this is a mini-transportation ride-sharing revolution that is happening in warmer cities, and now they are expanding aggressively in fairly temperate cities in Europe (Brussels, Paris, London).

They're already everywhere in Denver, which is a tiny bit warmer in the winter but gets just as much snow as we do. I think the main problem here is that these e-scooters fall under the definition of a "motor vehicle" and aren't licensed, which means they can't be legally used on sidewalks or on streets.

I saw them all over Vienna last month. As usual, Toronto lags decades behind progressive cities.

Very interesting Reports coming to TPA Board next week:
http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2018.PA16.3 and
http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2018.PA16.4

The first one states:

a. City Council approve the principle that Bike Share as a municipal service is an integral component in the City's transportation, transit and mobility network, and as such, there is considerable merit in continuing City investment and support in the program.

b. City Council acknowledges that user/operating revenues alone will not completely cover ongoing operating expenses of Bike Share, and municipal subsidy will likely be required to offset capital requirements (State of Good Repair and expansion) and net operating deficits.

c. City Council approve the "Financial Sustainability Principles" set out in this report, and that funding current outstanding, as well as future Bike Share capital programs and operating deficits, as necessary, be considered as part of the annual budget cycle in accordance with these principles, namely.

i. Efficiency in operations - the need to continually optimize the expense side of operating the Bike Share system;

ii. Securing system sponsorship and advertising - as key elements to offset operating deficits and ensure the long-term financial sustainability of Bike Share;

iii. Commitment to municipal funding subsidies – to address any system shortfalls as well as capital programs, recognizing the value of the municipality continuing to invest in a Bike Share program;

iv. Subsidy funding would not rely on property tax sources, debt financing or impact operating budgets; and

v. Future years' net surplus operating funds, if any, be deposited to the Bike Share Reserve.

Very interesting Reports coming to TPA Board next week:
http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2018.PA16.3 and
http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2018.PA16.4

The first one states:

a. City Council approve the principle that Bike Share as a municipal service is an integral component in the City's transportation, transit and mobility network, and as such, there is considerable merit in continuing City investment and support in the program.

b. City Council acknowledges that user/operating revenues alone will not completely cover ongoing operating expenses of Bike Share, and municipal subsidy will likely be required to offset capital requirements (State of Good Repair and expansion) and net operating deficits.

c. City Council approve the "Financial Sustainability Principles" set out in this report, and that funding current outstanding, as well as future Bike Share capital programs and operating deficits, as necessary, be considered as part of the annual budget cycle in accordance with these principles, namely.

i. Efficiency in operations - the need to continually optimize the expense side of operating the Bike Share system;

ii. Securing system sponsorship and advertising - as key elements to offset operating deficits and ensure the long-term financial sustainability of Bike Share;

iii. Commitment to municipal funding subsidies – to address any system shortfalls as well as capital programs, recognizing the value of the municipality continuing to invest in a Bike Share program;

iv. Subsidy funding would not rely on property tax sources, debt financing or impact operating budgets; and

v. Future years' net surplus operating funds, if any, be deposited to the Bike Share Reserve.

In reading the report, a few things pop out at me, other than the typos........ LOL

1) That past operating deficits were not covered in-year, and are now being proposed to be made up by raiding the Public Realm Reserve Fund. I'm under the impression this fund was meant for investing in streetscapes and the like and I'm not
overly enthused at the idea of millions of dollars going from that to cover operating losses of a transportation service.

If the service did not actually show debt on its books, I'm not quite clear on how the bills were paid and why the loss needs to be covered at the tail end of 2018.

But if that's justified, so be it, but I'd rather the funds came from elsewhere.

2) The preliminary budget for expansion in 2019 is 7.5M that should be about the same as last year, I believe. Which would suggest something in the range of 90 additional stations this year. Also noted in the report is that they have decided the optimum size for Bikeshare is the range of 6,000 bikes at about 600 docks. Current expansion plans for 2020 would leave them just shy of this target.

Last edited:
I do wish Bikeshare would stop putting their stations on the grass. Twice now picking up bikes on a dark morning I've stepped in dog sh#t trying to extricate a bike from the dock. This morning, 6:30am I'm getting bike at Queen and Berkeley and spat goes the dog crap - so apologies if the brand new men's room in the lower concourse at Union smelled like a dog's rear this morning - that was me washing off my boot. Same happened last year at Sumach and Carlton. Multiple other times getting or dropping off bikes during nighttime I've been lucky enough to see and avoid the mess beforehand.

So, please no more of these...

Dkpz2zKXcAAzpNX.jpg

bicycle-rental-transportation-bike-share-toronto-run-by-metrolinx-at-leslie-street-spit-station-in-toronto-ontario-canada-PC8H1W.jpg

^ I must say that I'm surprised they didn't at least put down flag stones, if not a concrete plinth, just for structural stability and safety alone.

Even clots of mud, let alone dog poo, can make it awkward for arriving at the office or somewhere requiring decorum. The grass is going to be trampled anyway, as the picture above shows.

they do it all over the place. Wellington and Stanley Park, King and Dufferin, Liberty Village, all have grass based (or in a few cases, more like mud based) stations. On wet days it's pain.

They likely don't have budget and/or ability to simply pave over grass. And in many locations there are no options as paved sidewalk space is limited or unavailable.

Back