News   Apr 25, 2024
 52     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 

Toronto Bike Share

This is quite the significant expansion, looking forward to seeing these new stations come online in the near future.

And just the beginning.

This takes the system from just shy of 3,000 bikes to just shy of 4,000.

But within 5 years, the target is 6,000.

So roughly 2 more rounds of expansion this large.

This year's proposal takes the service further west on St. Clair, up Yonge to Eglinton, completes service along the length of Queen East, and the Eastern Beaches, as well as East York; with some extra stations in/around Union and other high-demand locations.

Look for future growth largely up to Eglinton along the Crosstown route, up Yonge to North York Centre and following the Spadina line, plus further west at/south of Bloor.

Last edited:
My car broke down yesterday so I'm taking to GoTrain to work today. Took the bikeshare from Moss Park to Union. It's been a few months since my last bikeshare use, and it was nice to get back on the bike. Riding along Richmond past all the gridlock traffic is fun.

I started using this a few years ago (I hadnt biked since I was a teenager). Its become one of my favorite, most convenient things about living downtown. It may sound dumb, but its one of the current reasons I couldnt imagine moving to the burbs (and Im a driver too!) Wonderful to see it continue to expand.

It'll be interesting to see how this will work out. Let's be honest, not many people are going to climb up to Eglinton on a bixi of all things. They will need to put a lot more resources into redistributing bikes with trucks.

It'll be interesting to see how this will work out. Let's be honest, not many people are going to climb up to Eglinton on a bixi of all things. They will need to put a lot more resources into redistributing bikes with trucks.

I'm sure that's right, and there's also scant infrastructure enabling a north-south connection (I've always fancied Avenue becoming the city's first real north-south connector), but I imagine we'll see a strong proliferation of shorter-distance cycling trips within the new northerly expansion areas.

DviN4gBYaONj33wW3kyqISjg6b5FYeOX6QRkt9foZeY.jpg

From reddit

What does a dockless version mean? If it means people can leave the bike anywhere, then I don't think that's a good idea. I've visited cities with this and bikes are pretty much everywhere and anywhere, and it just becomes a mess.

I also like the docks. Granted Im downtown so they are everywhere; and I can see how it would be annoying if there was only 1 dock in your area and it was full/empty

Docks provide a bit of predictability; you have a fixed point where bikes can be picked up. I think that predictability outweighs the convenience of dropping it where you want. Especially as we expand out into Scarborough, Etobicoke and North York, where land area and destinations are farther spread out, bikes could be dropped in places that aren't convenient.

Docks provide a bit of predictability; you have a fixed point where bikes can be picked up. I think that predictability outweighs the convenience of dropping it where you want. Especially as we expand out into Scarborough, Etobicoke and North York, where land area and destinations are farther spread out, bikes could be dropped in places that aren't convenient.

Dockless does not mean that its not predictable. I think Hamilton has done quite well with having designated locations to drop some bikes off. Many in Asia use paint to designated locations where you should park them.

And there is always the app. Just click and it'll tell you where the closest bike is located.

Is your need for predictability worth $4000 per bike?

Dockless does not mean that its not predictable. I think Hamilton has done quite well with having designated locations to drop some bikes off. Many in Asia use paint to designated locations where you should park them.

And there is always the app. Just click and it'll tell you where the closest bike is located.

Is your need for predictability worth $4000 per bike?

I don't buy that the price tag is all accounted for by the docks. How much of that money is in the fact that the bikes are heavy beasts built to last?

As someone who lives at Yonge and Eglinton, I would love the opportunity to be able to bike down to Saint Clair, Rosedale and Bloo to try out some restaurants, meet up with friends or for a change of scenery. Even with my current living arrangement, I find that my bikeshare membership has covered its cost and saved me some nightmarish commutes on the TTC.

Back