News   Apr 16, 2024
 317     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.5K     6 

Toronto Bike Share

They're comparing a system that only had 500 bikes to a system that has 4000 bikes...it's a shitty comparison. Of course more bikes is going to result in an increase in ridership.
All addressed in the many articles on-line. That vector is easily factored for comparison, as many articles on the matter have. What's harder to compensate comparisons for is the business model:
[...]
But competition is coming. Not long after Seattle’s Pronto bikeshare program closed, two replacements hit the streets: LimeBike and Spin. Both are for-profit, privately operated systems backed by venture capital firms, which is a relatively new entry in bikeshare. “The old ways aren’t disappearing,” says Herr. “But the trend is diversification.”

LimeBike started in January with $12 million in funding, including support from well-known tech VC firm Andreesen Horowitz. Spin launched in 2016 with $8 million in initial funding. The key? Both Spin and LimeBike are dockless systems (read more below). Without the physical footprint of stations, operators don’t have to jump through the usual hoops for operating, like responding to a city’s RFP (request for proposal) or winning a franchise; a simple business permit does the trick.

Is VC-backed bikeshare the wave of the future?

“Ask me in five years!” says Herr. “It’s an interesting iteration, but it’s important to keep the perspective that bikeshare is a young industry, and it’s changing rapidly.”
[...]
https://www.bicycling.com/news/advo...keshares-and-one-problem-they-need-to/slide/1

See also:
https://www.bicycling.com/culture/will-dockless-bike-share-sweep-the-nation

Bike-share platform Spin poaches Seattle transit regulator and launches in a dozen new cities
Posted Nov 10, 2017 by Devin Coldewey

Spin
, one of several dockless bike-sharing companies now vying for dominance in a number of U.S. cities, has a new weapon to wield against its competitors: Kyle Rowe, the architect of Seattle’s permissive and apparently successful bike-share permit system, who is joining the company to work on government partnerships. In addition, Spin is gearing up to launch in a dozen or so new cities all around the country.

I met Rowe in Seattle this summer, funnily enough at a launch party for Spin’s well-funded Chinese rival Ofo. He and the team at the Seattle Department of Transportation had put together an attractively simple process for launching dockless bike sharing in the city. It made things easy on operators while still holding them to fairly rigorous standards and requiring them to share certain valuable data so it could be used by transit officials and other companies.

This has allowed, for instance, apps like Transit and Migo to add multiple bike-share companies to their maps of local transportation options (although payments are still only available in the individual services’ apps):
[...]
https://techcrunch.com/2017/11/10/b...regulator-and-launches-in-a-dozen-new-cities/

This is going to get interesting, as Minnan-Wong is the man behind Toronto's purchase of the failed Bixi. It is also a substantial cost to the City, and M-W claims to be an 'architect of free enterprise'. The private bike-shares actually *produce money* for the cities they operate in. We'll see how M-W handles this...

This is going to get interesting, as Minnan-Wong is the man behind Toronto's purchase of the failed Bixi. It is also a substantial cost to the City, and M-W claims to be an 'architect of free enterprise'. We'll see...
Already refuted this a couple of pages ago. Anyway, enjoy posting about Seattle and how it's so much better. I'm done here.

Already refuted this a couple of pages ago. Anyway, enjoy posting about Seattle and how it's so much better. I'm done here.
They're comparing a system that only had 500 bikes to a system that has 4000 bikes...it's a shitty comparison. Of course more bikes is going to result in an increase in ridership.
That's why it's expressed as: "In fact, as bike share companies add bikes to Seattle streets, the number of rides per bike per day has increased".
https://www.seattlebikeblog.com/201...ter-bike-forbes-says-limebike-valued-at-200m/

The present Toronto Bike Share has cost $Millions over its lifetime, and the province just kicked in again after $5M in 2015, and now $25M. Is it worth it? Compared to a newer, privately financed model that actually *pays* the City for each ride?

It's a very good question, especially at a time when the City is so 'broke' as to afford only $1M or so for the King Street Project. Mind you, it's other levels of government spending the most for Bike Share in Toronto.

What harm can there be in examining other options?

What harm can there be in examining other options?
None less than Cnclr Layton agree:
By Gilbert NgaboMetro
Tues., Sept. 19, 2017
The city needs to revisit its approach to bike-share parking, as the bulky stations are taking up too much space, says one city councillor.

Trinity-Spadina Coun. Mike Layton introduced a proposal at Tuesday's public works and infrastructure committee asking staff to explore the possibility of introducing dockless bike-sharing technology. Currently the city's Bike Share program relies on the use of large docking systems, which can be a big inconvenience in a city as dense as Toronto, said Layton.

“The stations are big, and that has actually been a barrier to the rollout,” he said, noting the docking stations can be two metres wide and 12 to 15 metres deep.

“Finding a space that can accommodate that is tricky. We have areas in my ward, which has an enormous population of cyclists, but we have difficulty putting the stations in.”

Last month, Bike Share Toronto added 70 new stations to its infrastructure, upping the total number of stations to 270 with a fleet of 2,750 bikes.

The multimillion-dollar program has been increasing in popularity, now counting as many as 9,500 active members who each pay a $90 annual membership fee. Last week Bike Share reported reaching a million rides this year, putting it on course to eclipse last year's record of 1.1 million trips.

But Layton said bike-sharing technology has been evolving quickly, with new startups across the world offering bikes with locks that do not require big and costly docks. In Toronto, the private company DropBike rolled in earlier this summer for a pilot project. After a little over eight weeks, the project reports more than 5,000 rides by about 1,400 users.

“We are a direct competitor with DropBike, but it could be that there are other types of technologies that we could integrate,” said Layton. “We should stay up to date. I wouldn't want the city to just fall behind in what we offer.”

The item was referred to city staff for further review. They will report back to council in October.
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2017/09/19/toronto-urged-to-explore-dockless-bike-sharing.html

To some extent, time is on the City's side, as lighter, faster, far more rider-friendly bikes are now being produced. They are the future of bike-share, along with being dockless and smart. As to what happens to the present albatrosses is anyone's guess, but before any more is invested in older tech, it's time to look at different models, perhaps even private ones that pay the City, not the other way around.

The very first time I used a Bixi I couldn't believe how heavy it was. Twice the weight of other bikes I rode in the past.

I think it took two rides to get use to it.

Perhaps they could be lighter. I dunno. I dunno if lighter bike share bikes used in Singapore could withstand a Canadian winter (I've yet to see a corroded bike). I do know, after hundreds of trips, that Toronto bikes are comfortable, reliable, safe and available all year round.

I thought I heard that a part of Toronto was going to try dockless bike share. Perhaps this might work. However, this approach isn't without its drawbacks either (look at China). I also know that many bike stands in Toronto are already filled to the brim.

Toronto Bike Share isn't perfect, but the fact that it could be improved doesn't mean it isn't working or well-loved.

Why would a static number of bikes result in an increase in ridership? An increase in bikes should result in an increase in ridership certainly, but simply having more bikes than a competitor should not increase ridership, since there's no catalyst to spark the increase.

In fact, the entrance of a new competitor with 500 bikes should in theory reduce ridership at the larger company. Even if the larger company has 100,000 bikes, a new entrant with 500 bikes is bound to take a few riders from the larger company.

Why would a static number of bikes result in an increase in ridership? An increase in bikes should result in an increase in ridership certainly, but simply having more bikes than a competitor should not increase ridership, since there's no catalyst to spark the increase.

In fact, the entrance of a new competitor with 500 bikes should in theory reduce ridership at the larger company. Even if the larger company has 100,000 bikes, a new entrant with 500 bikes is bound to take a few riders from the larger company.
To clarify, they're comparing the old system which had 500 bikes and no longer exists, to the new system which has 4000 bikes.

I thought I heard that a part of Toronto was going to try dockless bike share. Perhaps this might work. However, this approach isn't without its drawbacks either (look at China).
The Chinese example has been taken into consideration with the dockless bikes, and addressed by Spin and others.

Here's some background on the Ofo:
WashPost
By Simon Denyer August 31
BEIJING — To rent a bike in China, all it takes is a phone app, and any of the millions of bicycles scattered on sidewalks everywhere can be yours. No bike stand. No drop-off point. You scan a code, you ride, you leave and lock the bike wherever and whenever you’re done.

China’s billion-dollar bike-sharing revolution has already transformed the look and feel of cities around the country, with more than 100 million apps downloaded and billions of rides taken on many millions of bikes.

Now it is going global.

Last month, a Chinese company called Ofo made its first foray into the United States, delivering 1,000 bicycles to the streets of Seattle, with plans to expand nationally. From Italy to Kazakhstan, from Britain to Japan, from Singapore — Asia’s greenest city — to one of its most congested, Bangkok, Ofo and its main Chinese rival Mobike are on a breakneck race to expand across the globe.

Welcomed in many cities, but not by everyone, the companies are already encountering a backlash. Opponents have branded Ofo and Mobike a menace, a plague and a public nuisance.

Each of the two main Chinese companies has more than 7 million bikes in operation in over 150 cities, mostly in China, and each recently attracted $600 million to $700 million in new funding to finance their global expansions.

Bikes are typically fitted with GPS locators to enable users to find them via the app. Payment is minimal and made electronically.

Beijing, a city where bikes once ruled, has once again taken to two wheels, and most cyclists seem to use a shared bike these days. Greener and healthier to use, the bikes get commuters to and from public transit stations and discourage car use. They solve what planners call the “first-mile-last-mile problem,” helping people get from their homes to a bus stop, for example, or from a subway station to their final destination.

Dubbed “Uber for bikes,” they have proved much more popular than schemes based on docking stations. New York’s Citi Bike, with 10,000 bikes and 236,000 subscribers, is the largest operation in the United States. Compare that with Beijing, which has 700,000 shared bikes and 11 million registered users, nearly half the capital’s population. (Washington’s Capital Bikeshare program offers 3,700 bikes.)

Unlike arrangements based on docking stations in Washington and London, the dockless model doesn’t require government subsidies and is already spawning rival start-ups: California’s Spin and LimeBike narrowly beat Ofo to the punch in Seattle after the city pulled the plug on its subsidized bike-sharing program.

Ofo is now advertising on its LinkedIn page for a country head based in the greater New York area, while Mobike is advertising for jobs in Dallas/Fort Worth, Chicago, San Francisco and New York.

The explosion in users speaks to their success. But they are not universally liked.

In China, bikes clog sidewalks and pile up in unruly flocks outside subway stations, shopping malls, office buildings and road intersections. Unwanted or broken bikes are dumped by highways, in rivers and parks, on construction sites or under bridges.

Shanghai-based blogger Marc Milián calls them a “plague,” while locals have taken to social media to lambaste the “anarchic experiment” that is creating “a new generation of trash.”

Shanghai’s government has seized thousands of illegally parked bikes. It recently called for a halt on companies putting more bikes onto the streets and asked them to work faster to remove badly parked bikes.

Yet, in a country where the government puts a premium on controlling its citizens, Chinese officials have displayed a remarkably light touch with this booming new business. In guidelines issued last month, the State Council welcomed shared bikes as part of “the green urban transport system,” while urging local governments “to ensure rational allocation of bicycles and avoid excess supply in some areas.”
[...]
The company has ruled out the approach taken by Bluegogo or Uber, and instead works closely with local governments before launching — giving them control over how many bikes should be supplied and time to issue parking guidelines.

“The Uber model is to ignore local government, subvert it, grow larger than can be controlled, and then afterwards ask for forgiveness and permission,” Martin said. “We very specifically chose to do the opposite.”

The companies hope to encourage better behavior by awarding users credits for reporting broken or illegally parked bikes — and demerits for correspondingly bad behavior. If your score drops too low, your next ride could become much more expensive.

Ofo began as a student project at Peking University; its 26-year-old founder, Dai Wei, now runs a company valued at $3 billion. No surprise that among Ofo’s first forays into Britain have been the university cities of Cambridge and Oxford.

The economics remain fuzzy, experts say: In China, short rides are free, and many users say they pay virtually nothing. But even with the cost of maintaining and replacing broken bikes, Dai says, Ofo should break even by year’s end.

Towson sees potential for raising revenue with advertisements on bikes, as well as a move to paid subscriptions. He’s also optimistic about the move abroad.

“What I love about these companies is the way they have exposed how inconvenient owning and/or renting bicycles has always been,” he wrote on his website. “Try convincing someone to buy a bicycle and store it in their apartment in Shanghai now.”

In Seattle, there are now 3,000 dollar-a-ride dockless bikes on the streets, and usage has crushed the old docking-station-based project, says Tom Fucoloro, editor of the Seattle Bike Blog. Nor have fears of chaos been realized.

“Everyone’s scared to death of these piles of bikes. I find that kind of funny — too many bicycles would be an amazing problem for a U.S. city to have,” he said.

“Almost all the bikes are parked out of the way, more or less properly, and if they aren’t, someone will just come and move them out of the way. Seattle’s kind of a rule-following town in that way and that’s playing out with the bikes.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...4c822a-87f4-11e7-9ce7-9e175d8953fa_story.html

Here's comment on an opposing aspect:
[...]“In [cities with established systems], I think it’s going to be much more of a balancing act,” Weidel says. Chicago is currently having what he calls “very early conversations” with a number of dockless operators, though he would not specify which ones.

Something about the dockless concept, however, has clearly piqued the interest of existing bike-share operators. Despite the actions against Bluegogo, San Francisco regulators began setting up a permitting system several months later, acknowledging that there seemed to be significant interest in the model.

It’s also possible that the players behind established systems will develop their own dockless pilots in-house. Motivate, the company that operates New York’s Citi Bike—it also oversaw Pronto—is currently working on a smart bike with a built-in bike lock, which would theoretically work well in a dockless system. Motivate declined an on-the-record interview for this story, but a spokesperson admitted that the company has no immediate plans to introduce dockless technology in New York. The nimbler, lower-cost model could prove attractive, though, because Citi Bike has struggled to expand to some of the city’s farther-flung neighborhoods. [...]
https://www.bicycling.com/culture/will-dockless-bike-share-sweep-the-nation

The 'breakthrough' that I find most relevant is the lighter, wider geared models now appearing. They still have some way to go before enticing me and others, but it's coming. It has to.

Last edited:
I like the dock bikeshare model. There's the routine of knowing where I'm going to pick up the bike, and the choice of bikes in case one has a faulty bell/lights or other unreported damage. As for returning the bike, only once have I been dock-blocked by a full station, and in that instance, an empty dock less than 300m away was easily located via the app.

The alternative of walking each morning to some random location, sometimes opposite to my direction of travel in the hope that the one bike is usable, does not appeal to me.

Last edited:
The very first time I used a Bixi I couldn't believe how heavy it was. Twice the weight of other bikes I rode in the past.
I like the heavy weight, I feel like a tank. Except for the slight incline of Sherbourne St. on the homeward leg, I'm riding on essentially flat terrain, so I don't find the weight bothers me. And besides, shedding 10 lbs. or so off the weight of the bike won't change the 200+ lb. bag of meat on the seat.

In my vintage motorcycle club I chuckle when I see the guys trying to shed weight on their old bikes, but never look at the increasing weight of the rider.

I thought I heard that a part of Toronto was going to try dockless bike share. Perhaps this might work. However, this approach isn't without its drawbacks either (look at China). I also know that many bike stands in Toronto are already filled to the brim.

That's really important to remember - a "dockless" bike share system isn't really dockless. They just have someone else paying for their "docks", and that masks some of the costs.

The alternative of walking each morning to some random location, sometimes opposite to my direction of travel in the hope that the one bike is usable, does not appeal to me.

I still have to do this sometimes with Bike Share. I just don't mind it because the bikes are way faster than walking or taking the TTC. One thing worth looking into though is Hamilton's system. It's some sort of hybrid, where they have dedicated docks but you can also drop off your bike at any bike ring for a small fee (I think it's $1.00). They also have a cool feature where you can use Presto or some other RFID cards as your bike key (an RFID work badge would be fine, for example, but apparently not a credit/debit card).

There's a slew of articles just up on the web on cities going dockless. Either Toronto invests yet again in old technology and methods and loses the plot, let alone the investment, or as Cnclr Layton makes clear, the City must look to better ways of doing things:
NYC takes strides toward making dockless bike share a reality
2 comments
The city has issued an RFEI to consider the possibility of bringing dockless bikes to places Citi Bike doesn’t serve
By Tanay Warerkar Dec 15, 2017, 2:15pm EST

True to its word, the city’s Department of Transportation has now issued a Request for Expressions of Interest (RFEI) for a new dockless bike share program. So as not to compete with the existing Citi Bike network in the city, the RFEI asks companies to focus on the outer boroughs, particularly areas that don’t have access to Citi Bike services.

“New Yorkers have embraced public bike sharing faster than anyone expected,” said Mayor Bill de Blasio, in a statement. “These past four years, we’ve strengthened Citi Bike and doubled its size. Now it’s time to take the next big step and bring safe, reliable and affordable bike sharing to even more of the city.”

Through the RFEI, the city is hoping to gauge the feasibility of bringing bike sharing to parts of the Bronx and Staten Island, and other areas that are underserved by Citi Bike. Through this RFEI, the city will evaluate if the dockless bike sharing model is actually more cost-effective and faster to implement in the outer reaches of the city.

As such, these dockless bikes would have locking mechanisms installed in the bike itself, and could possibly be unlocked through mobile phones. They would likely need to have parking areas with designated boundaries, but other than that, there would be no need for individual docks.

“The people of The Bronx have shown incredible enthusiasm for bike sharing programs, and this RFEI represents an excellent opportunity to explore and examine innovative new ideas that could finally make bike sharing a reality in our borough,” said Bronx Borough President Ruben Diaz, Jr.

Following the RFEI, the city will consider implementing a dockless program on a pilot basis.
https://ny.curbed.com/2017/12/15/16781206/nyc-dockless-bike-share-rfei

By
David Gutman
Seattle Times staff reporter
The three stationless bike-share companies that have scattered thousands of low-cost rentable bikes across Seattle are operating on a six-month pilot program that ends at the end of this month.

But the end of the pilot does not mean the end of the program. It doesn’t even mean a decision on the future of the program is all that imminent.

The end of the pilot program, the Seattle Department of Transportation (SDOT) said, simply means the end of the official data-collection period for the bike-share program. The bike shares will continue to operate at least until July.

Beginning in January, SDOT officials will analyze the data — things like how often the bikes are used and where and when people are riding — and compile a set of recommendations for a permanent bike-sharing program, including how to improve the haphazard way that bikes are sometimes parked. SDOT will also conduct a survey to gauge public opinion on the program.
[...]
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattl...am-ends-this-month-but-the-bikes-are-staying/

Bikeshare a reality?
Wayne Moore - Dec 16, 2017

Is Kelowna big enough to support bikeshare?

The city's active transportation co-ordinator thinks so.

Co-ordinator Matt Worona hopes to have a pilot project in place by the spring.

The transportation alternative is popular in Europe and Asia, and is becoming more frequent in Canada and North America.

Five Canadian cities including Vancouver, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto and Montreal currently offer a form of bikeshare.

Several bikeshare models are used worldwide, but Worona believes a dockless system, which utilizes internal locking and GPS locating technology, would work best in Kelowna.

"Because of the lack of docking infrastructure and the style of bikes offered, dockless systems tend to be very inexpensive to implement and rent," said Worona.

"In turn this has, for the most part, eliminated the need for a government subsidy for these systems, with regards to both capital and operational costs.

"Dockless systems are typically owned and operated by private bikeshare companies and may or may
not have agreements in place with their host municipalities for their operation."

Worona says Kelowna is already a bike-friendly city, with infrastructure in place to support it.

A bikeshare system that allows residents and visitors to access affordable and convenient bikes for short
trips would provide a number of community benefits that support the city’s transportation, carbon reduction and economic development goals.

The city is in talks with several companies that provide the service.

Worano expects to update council early in the new year.
https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/214159/Bikeshare-a-reality

New York could be testing out a new kind of bike-share program as soon as this summer.

Following in the footsteps of Seattle and Washington, D.C., which has been experimenting with dockless bike share, the city's Department of Transportation said Friday that it was looking to this new model to expand public bicycle use to neighborhoods that Citi Bike has not yet reached.

The GPS-enabled bikes would be part of a free-floating system, meaning they are not docked into stations like Citi Bike's, but instead self-lock and can be left anywhere. A dockless system is less capital intensive than a station-based operation and can also be deployed more quickly, with critics arguing the randomly placed bikes invite chaos on sidewalks. [...]
http://www.crainsnewyork.com/articl...08/city-takes-step-toward-dockless-bike-share

First dockless bike share licence issued
Published: 15 December 2017

Auckland Council has issued its first mobile trading licence for a dockless bike share system.

The licence, issued to Onzo, is for a trial period over the summer until 28 February 2018.

The council has worked closely with Auckland Transport to develop the licence conditions and a code of practice for bike share operators.

Auckland Council’s Manager Regulatory Compliance, Steve Pearce, says any bike share operator will need to apply for a licence before starting its service.

“Dockless bike share services are new in Auckland and we want to make sure they are safe and not causing problems on footpaths or being left in inappropriate places," he says.

“If there are any issues, we expect operators to remedy this quickly, and the licence allows us to enforce this.”

Auckland Transport’s Walking, Cycling and Road Safety Manager, Kathryn King, says AT is supportive of any initiative that encourages people to ride bikes.

“Dockless bike share systems are a great way for people to try bike riding, and we’ve already seen in the last few weeks that lots of people are giving the Onzo system a go," she says.

“We want anyone using a bike share service to be safe and we are requiring that bikes will be regularly serviced, and have lights and a helmet, to comply with the New Zealand Road Code,” she says.

“At the moment there are only a small number of shared bikes in Auckland, and over the coming months we expect the number of bikes and the number of operators to increase."

“We want to make sure the amount of bikes on Auckland streets is an appropriate number, so that there are bikes for people to easily find and use, while not causing access issues on footpaths.”
http://ourauckland.aucklandcouncil..../12/first-dockless-bike-share-licence-issued/

Last edited:
There's a slew of articles just up on the web on cities going dockless. Either Toronto invests yet again in old technology and methods and loses the plot, let alone the investment, or as Cnclr Layton makes clear, the City must look to better ways of doing things:

I don't see how dockless bike share is any better. The only real improvement they've made it outsourcing costs. With a service like Dropbike, the city has to pay for the infrastructure ("dockless" bike docks, i.e. bike rings) and the customer has to take care of cell service for payments (you can't use it if you don't have a cell phone and data for the app, which is an obstacle to lower-income residents).

Back