Toronto Bisha Hotel and Residences | 146.91m | 44s | Lifetime | Wallman Architects

Great hotel chain! I can't wait to see what Loews new brand will look like. This area is becoming Toronto's hotel district.

That would actually be a more suitable name for the area than "Entertainment District" or "Clubland", neither of which really applies any more.

That would actually be a more suitable name for the area than "Entertainment District" or "Clubland", neither of which really applies any more.

A lot of folks do keep saying that, and relative to 10/20 years ago, they're correct ... but keep in mind back in those days, and there were many articles that claimed this; Toronto had one of the densest and largest concentration of clubs in NA (more than various parts of NYC from what I recall). That is too say, what's left is still substanational compared to any other city in NA;

Here's another point, every city in NA has been facing the decline of the mega club, they're just not popular as they used to be (a couple interesting articles claim online dating has a big role to play here, and this makes sense to me), but rather smaller more intimate environments are more common; And quite a few more of these exist today then they did 10/20 years ago. On top of all of this, is the rise of the suburban clubs in Toronto, there are many more of these then there were in the past.

This argument again? In what way is this not an entertainment district? In just a few square blocks you've got The Royal Alex, Princess of Wales, Roy Thomson Hall, Glenn Gould Studio, TIFF Bell Lightbox, Scotiabank Theatre, Second City, Yuk Yuk's Comedy Club, The Ballroom and a wide variety of galleries, hotels, bars and restaurants. When did entertainment become synonymous with club hopping?

No part of me is sad to see those club days gone. I remember going to sketchy raves around there as a 15 year old, I also remember how cool it was to walk around down there and see old men having mid life crisis riding yamaha's around at 3am for no reason. Maybe I'm a bit too young to understand the nostalgia for that certain breed of "entertainment.
I work at richmond and spadina and have noticed a remarkable decline in street vomit over the last couple years as well.
The area is a lot more lively during the day, lots of creative types, students and tourists, retail is flourishing and people keep moving in, so it certainly isn't dull.

This argument again? In what way is this not an entertainment district? In just a few square blocks you've got The Royal Alex, Princess of Wales, Roy Thomson Hall, Glenn Gould Studio, TIFF Bell Lightbox, Scotiabank Theatre, Second City, Yuk Yuk's Comedy Club, The Ballroom and a wide variety of galleries, hotels, bars and restaurants. When did entertainment become synonymous with club hopping?

Dont forget the ACC and Skydome, ok Rogers Centre =)

It would be a stretch to include those as part of the ED, but if we wanted to include stuff on the fringes we could also add stuff like the Four Seasons Centre and the Horseshoe.

Admittedly I didn't realize these were outside the actual borders of the official Entertainment District but it would seem amiss to not include them considering the size of their contribution to our cities entertainment and the fact that they are so close.

Pics taken mar 8, 2015

Back in November the facade was moved back to its original location. It doesn't seem like they are going to remove the street obstruction.

E83BjV8.jpg

nkXu7yf.jpg

zqp7oXP.jpg

Last edited:

Back