Toronto Birchmount Green | 49.69m | 15s | Mahogany Management | Chamberlain

AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score

Mentioned in this article:

Projects recommended by city staff this year are: 685 Queen St. E. (32 affordable units); 2217 Kingston Rd. (24 affordable units); 591 Finch St. W. (159 affordable units); 884 Kingston Rd. (30 affordable units); 82 Buttonwood Ave. (106 affordable units); 989 College St. (17 affordable units); 3775-4005 Dundas St. W. (63 affordable units); and 1236 Birchmount Rd. (220 affordable units).

1236 BIRCHMOUNT RD
Ward 21 - Scarborough District

Development comprising of a 15-storey residential apartment building.

Proposed Use ---​
# of Storeys ---​
# of Units ---​
Type​
Number​
Date Submitted​
Status​
Applications:
Site Plan Approval​
20 126113 ESC 21 SA​
Mar 13, 2020​
Under Review​

The application proposes the redevelopment of the subject property with a 15-storey mixed-use building comprising of 220 residential units and 156 square metres of retail/commercial space. The proposal would have a gross floor area of 17,161 square metres resulting in a Floor Space Index of 4.58. A total of 93 vehicular parking spaces and 72 bike parking spaces would be provided to service the proposed development. The proposal includes affordable rental housing units and the project was approved for the City's Open Door Affordable Housing Program. This proposal is associated with Committee of Adjustment decision under file No. A0159/17SC.

Chamberlain Architect Services:

2rwa.JPG
3rwfea.JPG
4gerds.JPG
4we3gds.JPG
fgnds.JPG
qwafdsd.JPG
trhbs.JPG

Construction well underway here. Photos from Mahogany Management's website:

birchm.JPG

birchm2.JPG

...adding this one to our watch-list.

CMHC putting $72.4-MILLION into this project under the "National Housing Co-Investment Fund (NHCF)" - Long term, low-interest loans for the construction of affordable housing. Sometimes they are forgivable loans...

This one's making an impact in the area. I'm interested to see how the cladding turns out, the renders are certainly funky to say the least. Sites like these are definitely the right parts of the city to intensify, I'd love to see all the 1 storey plazas in Scarborough redeveloped.

20220520_163901.jpg

Yeah, although it's far from a masterpiece, I do think the colour accents if kept should make this pop with some visual interest.

I also found the quality of cladding on Mahogany's recent Madison View project to be reasonably decent:

Any colour is welcome as it's a pretty drab area along the main streets. I work nearby so I'll try to keep the thread updated as more cladding goes up.

Back