3.5K     7 
News   Oct 05, 2022
 748     0 

Toronto Bike Share

innsertnamehere

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Still, it seems that the e-bikes are being hoarded by the food couriers. I don’t understand why Toronto hasn’t gone with a premium for e-bikes, unlike other cities I’ve been to with them, like Montreal or Kansas City.
Toronto's unlimited annual membership pricing is relatively unique for bike share systems from what I've seen. I was using Chicago's system just a few weeks ago when I was there and they, like Hamilton, charge a per minute rate. Annual memberships simply make it a lower rate, and E-scooters and E-bikes (which all use the same station docks that Toronto has) are a more expensive rate to use. From what I remember pedal bikes were half the rate of the E-bikes.

Personally I enjoy Toronto's unlimited model.

Gino29

Member Bio
Reaction score
Still, it seems that the e-bikes are being hoarded by the food couriers. I don’t understand why Toronto hasn’t gone with a premium for e-bikes, unlike other cities I’ve been to with them, like Montreal or Kansas City.
I'm curious where you are seeing this happen? I live and work in the entertainment district and see dozens of food couriers in my area. I have never once seen one with a BikeShare e-bike. I have seen many of them with their own e-bikes or scooters but never a bike share e-bike. I also am seeing BikeShare e-bikes frequently now in my area in the docks, which tells me this supposed hoarding isn't really a thing.

Gino29

Member Bio
Reaction score
Toronto's unlimited annual membership pricing is relatively unique for bike share systems from what I've seen. I was using Chicago's system just a few weeks ago when I was there and they, like Hamilton, charge a per minute rate. Annual memberships simply make it a lower rate, and E-scooters and E-bikes (which all use the same station docks that Toronto has) are a more expensive rate to use. From what I remember pedal bikes were half the rate of the E-bikes.

Personally I enjoy Toronto's unlimited model.
i have an annual membership and I likely would not get a membership nor use it as frequently if they charged per minute, even if a membership discounted that to the point I was paying a similar annual amount with that model vs. the current Toronto model. The ability to pay once and then forget about it is highly appealing. If i had to think about a dollar or two cost every time I was going to get one, I more often than not would just not.

lawwt

Member Bio
Reaction score
Montreal has a similar unlimited model that works quite well at managing demand for e-bikes. Regular trips fall under the unlimited 45min trips whereas trips with an e-bike are on a per minute rate albeit at a lower rate when you have a membership. You only see delivery people using them occasionally.

daptive

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm curious where you are seeing this happen? I live and work in the entertainment district and see dozens of food couriers in my area. I have never once seen one with a BikeShare e-bike. I have seen many of them with their own e-bikes or scooters but never a bike share e-bike. I also am seeing BikeShare e-bikes frequently now in my area in the docks, which tells me this supposed hoarding isn't really a thing.

I’m also in the entertainment district and can 100% corroborate that e-bike hoarding happens. Most egregious of which is when they sit on the docked e-bike while refreshing their session.

It’s true a lot of delivery people have their own bikes and scooters but they also deliver on ebikes.

PL1

Member Bio
Reaction score
A couple of comments about the e-bikes and possible use by couriers.

After having a membership for years, I finally used an E-Bike last week and I'm hooked. I think I used them 6 times this past week!

The Bike Share e-bikes only provide power when you pedal, though. Most food couriers I see have e-bikes that provide power without pedalling. I could see couriers using one of the Bike Share e-bikes if their normal ride needs to be recharged, but I rather doubt most would prefer them. Of course, there may be some that don't mind pedalling

Edit to add that these were my 10km commute to/from work. The E-bikes are about 20% faster and 20% easier. Definitely a plus when going to work!

Last edited:

TRONto

Member Bio
Reaction score

After having a membership for years, I finally used an E-Bike last week and I'm hooked. I think I used them 6 times this past week!

The Bike Share e-bikes only provide power when you pedal, though. Most food couriers I see have e-bikes that provide power without pedalling. I could see couriers using one of the Bike Share e-bikes if their normal ride needs to be recharged, but I rather doubt most would prefer them. Of course, there may be some that don't mind pedalling
My rides are generally less than 15 minutes so I actively try to avoid them (exercise!).
It's tempting though.

DSC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score

Edit to add that these were my 10km commute to/from work. The E-bikes are about 20% faster and 20% easier. Definitely a plus when going to work!
Yes, the Bike Share e-bikes do require one to pedal a bit and most food couriers now have 'better' ones which do not require this. However, until very recently there were VERY few operational e-bikes and almost all I saw in use were ridden by couriers with delivery bags. I assume they have managed to save up enough to buy their own bikes now! (Of course, there are also far more Bike Share e-bikes on the street now too.)

WillTo

Member Bio
Reaction score
I used an e-bike today. Gotta watch them pedals- they have a life of their own. I often recalibrate the pedals to be in the optimal position at a stop light, but they keep moving on their own and I would hit my shin. Ouch!

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Public meeting on the 4-year growth plan for Bikeshare Toronto coming next week.

1659450002326.png

Register here:

Amare

Member Bio
Reaction score
I heard you like e-bikesView attachment 418687
Definitely wouldve come in handy Saturday night when I had to Bike from Queen/Spadina all the way to South Etobicoke since TTC line management was once again non-existent for the 100th time this year. I had to use the nice manual powered bikes in the beautiful heat.

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Definitely wouldve come in handy Saturday night when I had to Bike from Queen/Spadina all the way to South Etobicoke since TTC line management was once again non-existent for the 100th time this year. I had to use the nice manual powered bikes in the beautiful heat.

I had no idea you were such an athlete!

Or capable of such optimism (that you wouldn't fall over from dehydration on the way)

The things you learn!

Last edited: