IMG_20140811_140120.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20140811_140104.jpg
    IMG_20140811_140104.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 1,485
  • IMG_20140811_140120.jpg
    IMG_20140811_140120.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 1,441
re: Palais am Brandenburger Tor - interesting building, I like the proportions, but you can bet if it were proposed anywhere here, there would be howls of outrage from many in T.O.....gauche, too glitzy, omg look at the mullions, McMansion condo, etc., etc...

Those people would be right.

Actually I think it would look great off Roncesvalles somewhere...

Right next to the HoJos. Context!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, how dare they fill up a little nook with something interesting to look at?!

I really don't get the idea of "don't force [art] into the most unnecessary places". Art should be able to be located anywhere, and sometimes the most unexpected place for it can be a delight. I don't know much about this piece yet, but I'm looking forward to its completion, when it will be fairer to judge it.

The topography on the art piece looks outstanding. And the art piece is quirky and mystifying and draws attention to the previous location of the shoreline. There are indeed plenty of cases where I too think "less is more" or where developers simply cram crappy "art" in because it's an obligation. But I don't see this as one of those cases.

Also, have a random pic. I took recently:

7HzPwqN.jpg

Thanks Modern for that excellent pic. Just another reminder of how the architect got it so right at street level and so abysmally wrong top side.
Thanks to you Roundabout for the great pic of the finished sculpture. Let's pray the drunks and graffiti vandals don't attack. This is just so cool.
I'm away for a few months but this is high on my list to see when I get back.
Again ..Fantastic!

Finally got a chance to see this sculpture up close and personal. I was surprised to see that Alien War of the Worlds tripod thingy lit up.

I Like it!

A shot of it all from a different angle than Roundabout\'s.

attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    393.4 KB · Views: 1,325
There's retail units all around / on either side of the artwork, and the indent here is part of the building's form. If this space were not the artwork, it would just be empty sidewalk, or at best some very steep stairs to the corner retail unit.

I quite like how you "happen" upon it, especially at night when it's a bit more hidden but is lit up. It's a nice part of a walk around the neighbourhood and educates people about the location of the former shoreline. Not every artwork needs to feature front-row-centre or on a major street / corner.

Plus, the entire point it is located on the slope and not up at the corner is because the slope is what the artwork refers to, and requires to express the topographical lines that make up its base.

Last edited:
Well Eddie, I got to go with Modern on this one.
I love the way this is snuggled in there and you just happen on to it. It's a modest piece, yet it delightfully surprises. It should illicit many a smile and curious wonderment in the years to come.

Back