Toronto The Berczy | 41.76m | 13s | Concert | Arcadis

Wow, I really like that. This is the sort of development St. Lawrence Market (and the Distillery District for that matter) should be seeing. Respect for context and environment... what a concept.

Amen to that!

That is a very decent base (just compare that base to the base of a Cityplace tower or 22 Wellsley).

Do you guys know what;s going to happen on the Church Street side.. where the resturant are now (the Keg, La Papillion..etc.)?
That tree-ed sidewalk with brick facades has got to be one of the most intimate in the area.. I hope they don't change it too much!

Get your rotten tomatos ready....

I dont think that the original was that bad, or a blight on the area. I find that each successive plan for the building gets worse and worse. That property could definitly handle a large building, expecially with the 2 towers of London on the Esplanade just behind it. This isnt a 2 - 3 storey area of town.

OK, throw away.....

Some more background (as was also reported in The Bulletin a while back)...

It is my understanding that part of the delay of Five Corners has been an objection from the neighbouring property 49 Front St E, which according to these OMB decisions, have been resolved.

It is in these report they discuss a two phased development of the property, with the 70 Esplanade property being the phase 2.

In one of those past reports (one of the many in the past few years), I think they mentioned building a seniors centre in one of the retail/commercial spaces.

From the OMB:
http://www.omb.gov.on.ca/e-decisions/pl051070_%232686.pdf

Feb 27,2007
http://www.omb.gov.on.ca/e-decisions/pl051070_%230492.pdf

Do you guys know what;s going to happen on the Church Street side.. where the resturant are now (the Keg, La Papillion..etc.)?
That tree-ed sidewalk with brick facades has got to be one of the most intimate in the area.. I hope they don't change it too much!

There was talk of putting up a 20 storey building on that site. Not sure what has occured with that as of late. I think it was a thread on the old board, but can't find it in the archives here.

The entire length of Church will be torn down save for 70 Esplanade (corner of Church & Esplanade).

Are they insane? That is a perfectly viable corner of the city with some nice historic buildings. This is the shit they would pull in 1957, not 2007.

I wish they would make the triangular base look more like the flatiron across the road…I guess it would be kinda hideous to put a condo on top, but I love that building so much, it needs company

I must say I like the massing and scale. This is context, without resorting to cheap "faux". The top could be better, but it's not bad in my opinion. Like Ganjavih, this is the kind of thing I'd prefer over Clear and Pure Spirit, and for Jarvis/Esplanade. St. Lawrence is a 10-20 floor part of town.

Their rationale is the buildings, save for 70 Esplanade, are in poor shape.

Haha. That's what they said about Pennsylvania Station.

I phoned the planner's number on the sign out front as soon as this project was announced a year or so ago. I'm glad to see it has been revised to something a little less terrible. I'd love to see this building on any other site. The problem is that the rendering is very sharply cut off. What comes to the south of that mid-rise section? I also think that the mid-rise area is too tall right across from the Flatiron which is the focal point of the neighbourhood. I also don't understand why the Papillon/Keg buildings need to be demolished. They're in perfectly good shape; as good as any other older building in the city.

Back