Toronto Berczy Park Revitalization | ?m | ?s

I was told by a local historian that the correct pronunciation is "Bear-Ski". She told me to think of a bear on skis.
According to Janie Romoff, General Manager of Toronto Parks, Forestry and Recreation, who spoke at the re-opening of the park this summer, they spent a lot of time trying to get to the root of the pronunciation during the rebuild, and she announced the Bear-ski version that @slicecom quotes above. The deal is that William Berczy, whom the park is named after, was born with the name Johann Albrecht Ulrich Moll, which he just decided to change it at some point… so it's all totally made up, pronounce it however you like.

I find "dog fountain park" works a lot better when you're trying to direct someone there to meet up. It's otherwise pretty much impossible when there are as many ways to pronounce it as there are people trying to pronounce it. I've always said "bear-see".

Nov 3
Boy!! did this park go to the dogs...:):D:p

Until today, never took any shots of it being built even though I was shoot around it and its very well done. It looks a lot better than what was there before.

It was funny watching a few dogs bark at these dog statues or even try to smell them. A few people where trying to take photos of their dog next to these dogs.

Running short of time and only got a few shots and will spend more time there when I have time.
More up on site
38170633901_ebfa8f12c0_b.jpg

38138596162_99aed21a45_b.jpg

26393932939_c634b3fe2b_b.jpg

26393928779_88b052907d_b.jpg

38138590242_f5b1e378f0_b.jpg

26393922339_eec10206c9_b.jpg

26393918959_66ac3b95ef_b.jpg

24317901278_207ba8c52a_b.jpg

EDIT: I was thinking I would be fine with the park being renamed after Pam McConnell, as this whole question would evaporate… but Moll is considered one of the cofounders of Toronto, so I suppose not. There's a bunch of stuff named after him up in Markham too.

Last edited:
If we’re talking about renaming it maybe we can name it after an ethnic figure. For the most multicultural city in the world I think there is a clear lack of things in this city named after ethnic people.

I'm happy to leave it as is, named for a guy who renamed himself—for reasons that appear to be lost to history—and brought non-British people to Toronto at a time when it was badly in need of a little cultural diversity. And who are "ethnic people", anyway? We all belong to one or more ethnic groups.

I'm very resistant to changing the historical or traditional names of parks and streets. As the city continues to grow there will be plenty of opportunity to name new parks, squares etc that will reflect the city's increasing diversity. Really like the new hand sculptures, it is turning into a nice little sculpture park.

I'm happy to leave it as is, named for a guy who renamed himself—for reasons that appear to be lost to history—and brought non-British people to Toronto at a time when it was badly in need of a little cultural diversity. And who are "ethnic people", anyway? We all belong to one or more ethnic groups.

I apologize I meant to say an ethnic minority figure. There seems to be a lack of ethnic minorities represented in the names of streets/places/things in this city.

If we’re talking about renaming it maybe we can name it after an ethnic figure. For the most multicultural city in the world I think there is a clear lack of things in this city named after ethnic people.

Would only work in places with a clear connection to multiculturalism/the significant figure. Otherwise, it's diversity for the sake of diversity.

I also think the current policy of naming new public spaces after significant "ethnic" figures and adding affixes to existing places (i.e. Ted Rogers Way) works far better than forcibly stripping a place of its original identity.

Would only work in places with a clear connection to multiculturalism/the significant figure. Otherwise, it's diversity for the sake of diversity.

I also think the current policy of naming new public spaces after significant "ethnic" figures and adding affixes to existing places (i.e. Ted Rogers Way) works far better than forcibly stripping a place of its original identity.

I am not in favour of renaming for historical reasons (except in certain circumstances), but it is hard to imagine we have trouble finding clear connections to people of different backgrounds for naming purposes after so many years.

AoD

Back