Berczy Park Revitalization | ?m | ?s

interchange42

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Many have taken this renaming thing so seriously. I only mentioned it jokingly, noting that taking Berczy's name off the park would end the endless questions of how to pronounce the name. Nothing more than that.

DSC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Many have taken this renaming thing so seriously. I only mentioned it jokingly, noting that taking Berczy's name off the park would end the endless questions of how to pronounce the name. Nothing more than that.

You should have known better! UTers are renowned for rushing off in all directions if given any encouragement.

Skeezix

Member Bio
Reaction score

You should have known better! UTers are renowned for rushing off in all directions if given any encouragement.

To be fair, 42's post was not the first time renaming the park after McConnell has been floated. There was even a brief discussion of the idea here in this thread back in July. I have seen similar suggestions on Reddit and Facebook, and presume others have seen such ideas mentioned on social media. I am not aware of any politicians or neighbourhood groups advocating for this, so the idea may not be getting much traction, but 42's joking post simply referred to a concept that was already being discussed.

Pedro.png

Attachments

• Pedro.png
    Pedro.png
    42.6 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:

Edward Skira

http://skyrisecities.com
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
To be fair, 42's post was not the first time renaming the park after McConnell has been floated. There was even a brief discussion of the idea here in this thread back in July. I have seen similar suggestions on Reddit and Facebook, and presume others have seen such ideas mentioned on social media. I am not aware of any politicians or neighbourhood groups advocating for this, so the idea may not be getting much traction, but 42's joking post simply referred to a concept that was already being discussed.

Pedro is @MetroMan here on UT.

Irishmonk

Member Bio
Reaction score
^Jeez, maybe they could have "wrapped" them up in a less grizzly fashion. This is going to scare kids and dog lovers. (And maybe other dogs too).

Gphorce

Member Bio
Reaction score
Toronto really has no idea how to make the city elegant for the winter. Why not cover the dogs in s something festive over top of the wrapping?

The City's motto should be "If you ignore winter long enough eventually it goes away"

ADRM

Member Bio
Reaction score
Am I the only one surprised/disappointed by the fact that the dogs weren't constructed with materials that wouldn't require them to be wrapped up all winter?

AlvinofDiaspar

Member Bio
Reaction score
Am I the only one surprised/disappointed by the fact that the dogs weren't constructed with materials that wouldn't require them to be wrapped up all winter?

I can't imagine how the material wouldn't be able to withstand winter conditions. It may have more to do with safety?

In any case, couldn't "we" just get their sizes and shop for some real doggy clothes to put on? Sounds like it could become an annual "dress the doggy up" competition (maybe tag on a charity - e.g. pet therapy - fundraising element to it?)

AoD

tripwire

Member Bio
Reaction score
^^ But then you'd have to worry about vandals making off with the clothes? :( Otherwise, I think that'd be an awesome idea.

Avenue

Member Bio
Reaction score
What winter conditions is the plastic wrapping protecting the dogs from? Not temperature and the covering isn't water proof. They didn't even cover them all the way down.

Last edited:

Tulse

Member Bio
Reaction score
The coverings do seem weird -- they are painted (enamelled?) metal, and I can't imagine that ice would do any damage to them, especially compared to kids regularly sitting on them.

Skeezix

Member Bio
Reaction score
I would have thought that the potential damage that the dogs might suffer during winter would be scratches from shovels and snow removal equipment when the area around the fountain is cleared of snow. (That assumes that the City actually clears the area around the fountain of snow, which I suppose isn't a given.)

But plastic wrap wouldn't do all that much to protect from that.