Hamilton Bayfront Studio District | ?m | 8s | Aeon | BDP Quadrangle

I can understand the hesitation however it seems to this admitted outsider that a lot has changed in Hamilton over the last decade and that recently the city is racking up more wins than losses. Be hopeful as the development company does very good work and larger macro economic forces for denser, central city building are in their favour. And on the subject of remediation delaying development, can cleanup be done on a piecemeal basis to start developing earlier rather than waiting for the entire site to be ready?

Last edited:
It’s the mix of uses being contemplated here that troubles me. A functioning film studio can’t coexist with residential uses without unsightly security measures being in place.

A visit to any studio in the world will show that they aren’t public facing operations. They do not want people wandering around the site because of safety and security protocols.

My guess is this goes either totally the studio route or to totally residential.

It’s the mix of uses being contemplated here that troubles me. A functioning film studio can’t coexist with residential uses without unsightly security measures being in place.

A visit to any studio in the world will show that they aren’t public facing operations. They do not want people wandering around the site because of safety and security protocols.

My guess is this goes either totally the studio route or to totally residential.
Difficulty is that the land fronting the tracks is zoned as commercial/industrial and CP will fight any residential change to that zoning.

There's so many other industrial sites in the city that aren't beside a train station, honestly not sure why film studios want to be at this location specifically. That said I don't see the same security concerns, you might not be shooting block buster films on these stages but there are plenty of jobs that would use these.

There's so many other industrial sites in the city that aren't beside a train station, honestly not sure why film studios want to be at this location specifically. That said I don't see the same security concerns, you might not be shooting block buster films on these stages but there are plenty of jobs that would use these.
I think it's just a spot near their other studio, trying to make it a "district". They don't have issues with the current studio, and they're filming there all the time. Many productions would be fine with these studios.

I'd give it a solid Hamilton 60% chance. Which is a non-Hamilton 5%. Hamilton loves to fail. The Connolly church will collapse and City Centre will be bankrupt halfway through construction, and this will sit an eventually become a sad asphalt park.

I'd bet my life.
Pretty sure that's the goal for many of these

Back