Toronto Bay Adelaide Centre | 217.92m | 51s | Brookfield | KPMB

Isn't Deloitte a competitor of KPMG? Wouldn't they want their headquarters to stand out MORE than their rival, rather than be a shorter twin of it?

In fact KPMG is annoyed that Deloitte is going into the east tower. The two companies have agreed that not to have their respective names facing toward each other from the tops of their respective towers, so the KPMG sign facing east will come down and no Deloitte sign facing west will go up.

Last edited:
Would either sign even be visible unless viewed from directly between the towers? (assuming hypothetically both signs were there)

The KPMG sign would be viewable over the top of the Deloitte tower from a distance.

KPMG doesn't want to invite clients over, only to have them staring at a Deloitte sign, and vice versa.

The KPMG sign would be viewable over the top of the Deloitte tower from a distance.

KPMG doesn't want to invite clients over, only to have them staring at a Deloitte sign, and vice versa.

For real? How do you know this? Seems so silly and childish. Does Scotiabank feel the same way about BMO and vice versa? CIBC about RBC?

Extremely disappointed that they didn't go for even slightly notched corners. might have cut 50-100 square feet off each floor at the most, and would have amounted to a much, much, much nicer building.

Not sure if this is true, but I heard today through the industry grapevine that Ellisdon (who was expecting to bag this project, after completing the original BAC) are being passed over in favour of Brookfield Multiplex (the company that took over from Lewis Builds at Trump Tower), which is the construction subsidiary of Brookfield Asset Management.

Last edited:
We did confirm with Brookfield when the renderings were released that the building would be notchless.

The BAC complex is a good example of what happens when you let the accounting department design buildings. Talk about uninspiring; not that notched corners were any design pinnacle, but at least it's something.

The BAC complex is a good example of what happens when you let the accounting department design buildings.

Maybe in Toronto

Check out other cities:

Deloitte, Los Angeles
485px-Downtown_Los_Angeles_Skyscrapers-edit1_%28cropped%29.jpg

PriceWaterHouseCooper, Frankfurth
400px-Tower_185.jpg

Maybe in Toronto

Check out other cities:

Deloitte, Los Angeles

PriceWaterHouseCooper, Frankfurth

Well, that was pretty much my point. A lot of our architecture, commercial especially, seems to be designed by the bean counters. Or when something inspiring is proposed, it inevitably gets run through some sort of cost optimization apparatus.

"I say Bill, I noticed here your design has more than four sides and a slightly rounded corner! What is this, some sort of fantasy land?"

Last edited:
The BAC complex is a good example of what happens when you let the accounting department design buildings. Talk about uninspiring; not that notched corners were any design pinnacle, but at least it's something.

I was told that it was Bruce Kuwabara who recommended that simpler was better.

A spandrel-less, mullion-less glass box certainly would be a better than the two examples posted above. Who knows; double-skinned.

Back