Toronto Bay Adelaide Centre | 217.92m | 51s | Brookfield | KPMB

you have got to be kidding. I've seen that pair in downtown LA in person... by Arthur Erickson I believe. The taller building could certainly stand on it's own. The keyhole design on the stone base is quite unique and eye catching. There is a conversation and dynamic created between these two towers with the variations on the layered facades and curved corner elements. Here in Toronto we have nothing x 2 with no greater statement achieved by the two being side by side. All we get is more gross floor area.

That's nice, but you've consciously omitted how Two California Plaza meets the street.

Definitely handled poorly. There were grade challenges no doubt, but that is one disgraceful base. That said, I don't mind the tower portion of Two California, and it'd be nice if Brookfield allowed for some curves in one of the BAC towers.

The chef at South of Temperance was the former chef at Alice Fazooli's and it was pretty evident from the chain restaurant style menu :/

Best food in the area is definitely at Gabardine.

I'm a big fan of Bannock. Lots of unique but tasty dishes on the menu.

Construction has already begun behind the scenes. Expect to see visible work in early November.
Has anyone else heard the rumour that, because they have changed the design for the lobby for BAC2 since the foundations were put in, they have to be rebuilt, and thus all the retail to the east of the food court will be closing? I find that the idea that Brookfield would make such an expensive change a bit dubious.

I don't mind BAC right now, but three of them with very little variation in design or height will make for a very bland complex. Perhaps phase 2 as a taller cylinder, coupled with the existing tower and the rectangular phase 3 would be interesting. I'd love to see a perfectly cylindrical, tall building with a seamless window wall façade built somewhere downtown.

Phase 3 would be an excellent opportunity for a landmark design to differentiate it from their previous phases. I doubt, however, that we'll see such a thing until the financial district begins to really push out east of Yonge.

Not what I heard in the new year. A mixed-use tower will rise together with Bay Adelaide East once the Adelaide parkade entrance is re-opened. Market condition certainly has change since.

Or has it? The development industry appears to believe in an increased and sustained demand for far more office space. If anything, there would seem to be solid demand for significant office space construction in the downtown core.

If true, I wonder how long it'll be before the Ice office tower gets started.

Last edited:
I would take the box-y-est box that ever boxed if it were clad like this:

Persfoto%20Kraanspoor%20Amsterdam.jpg

Or this:

san_francisco_federal_building_by_smranta53-d41kb8r.jpg

It'll never happen though. Go Toronto.

There is an opportunity to create a Rockefeller Centre like arrangement here - though it would require a taller north tower than proposed (which would of course create shadowing concerns for NPS). Of course, one can get around that by having some sort of semi-transparent finial (think say Shard in London) that would extend the height without adding floors, but it will cost extra.

AoD

Brookfield is a "low-risk" real estate developer. I wouldn't get my hopes up regarding them doing anything that would cost extra or make any kind of statement. Having said that, there's no doubt it will be a quality office complex.

And to think even bolder - if they can "lift" the entire building up from the ground floor like HSBC HQ in Hong Kong by moving the core to the edges of the building and create an uninterrupted visual axis with the south plaza, it would be even more "heroic". Of course, that's even less likely the the finial I have suggested.

AoD

Last edited:
Actually, the St. Michael's LKS Knowledge Institute features similar cladding with vertical fins on its west facade. Anyways I agree, it would be awesome having a large office building with a multi-dimensional facade.

South of Temperance patio being dismantled this morning, and looks like they're pulling out all the equipment from inside and hauling away. I'm about a 1/3 of the way up in the west tower overlooking the site, so should have some decent views over the next 6 months or so I would imagine.

Back