Toronto Bay Adelaide Centre | 217.92m | 51s | Brookfield | KPMB

yyzer

Member Bio
Reaction score
Just creating a placeholder thread for this development.... there seem to be a lot of rumours swirling at the moment, although they could be for an entirely different project....

Brookfield does have a page for this on their website, which they are undoubtedly using to market the project...address appears to be 2 Adelaide St. W.

http://www.brookfieldofficeproperties.com/content/toronto/bay_adelaide_centre_east_and_north-5029.html

from the Brookfield site (includes info regarding the existing 1930's building)

Description
Adjacent to Brookfield’s new 51-storey office development (Bay Adelaide West) in the Financial Core, Bay Adelaide East is a 43-storey, 900,000- square-foot office tower planned for the second phase of the Bay Adelaide Centre project. The tower is designed to achieve LEED Gold certification and will feature state-of-the-art operating and life safety systems. Connected to Toronto’s PATH system, the tower will have direct access to the 27 kilometer below grade public walkway and retail network.

Bay Adelaide North is the third phase of the Bay Adelaide Centre project and could accommodate a new development of up to 500,000 square feet.

Brookfield Properties operates its buildings at the highest standard. Our on-site property, facility management, security and fire-safety teams are in place to oversee and keep the properties efficiently operating. In addition to the core services found in all of the buildings, amenities specific to 2 Adelaide Street West include:

Building size (000’s Sq. Ft.): Office: 20; Retail: 8
Year Built: Approx. 1930s (8-14 Adelaide St. W) and mid 1900s (2-6 Adelaide St. W & 118 Yonge St.)
Year Renovated: 1986
Number of floors: 4
Typical floor size: 7,500 SF

Amenities

•Underground parking for 1100 vehicles (currently 860 stalls available due to construction)
•Proximate to major hotels, restaurants and shops including the 3.5 -million-square-foot Toronto Eaton Centre as well as The Bay department store
•Located in the Central Business District near public parks and transportation
•Situated equidistant from both the Queen and King Street Subway stations (Yonge-University Line) and a short walk south to Union Station

Any word on the potential design? If it's another box I think I'll cry...

I think a lot depends on what, if any, of the existing buildings will be retained/incorporated into the new design. The one I can see from my window (the back of 118 Yonge) is a decent-looking building. The building at 2 Adelaide is looking a little rough but certainly isn't falling apart.

I believe that TOfan696 said something about KPMB designing this phase. Accordingly the most we can hope for is a box with a fin sticking out. The big question: how far will the fin stick out? I await with bated breath.

Just gotta be optimistic here:

Maybe we get something fabulous and our opinion of Toronto tower architecture (or lack thereof) is totally changed. Hmm, wonder if the Leafs Stanley Cup Parade will pass by it :)

anyone have links handy to the site plans and any conceptual drawings that would have been posted back in the early days of BA1? it might be useful to see them again now...

anyone have links handy to the site plans and any conceptual drawings that would have been posted back in the early days of BA1? it might be useful to see them again now...

3469106477_09c72a94a5.jpg

Arnell Plaza's going to be a pretty cool place to have lunch once all these towers are complete.

Was kinda hoping they would build an office tower at least 60+ at the northwest corner of adelaide and young... o well.

I don't mind boxy designs, but when we have a cluster of the same design it bothers me. If BA2 turns out the same as BA1, I'll be disappointed.

I think that expanding, and strengthening the visual impact of, a well thought out existing design - the modular TD Centre "cluster" is a good example - rather than changing horses in mid-stream for the sake of novelty ( as with MaRS ) would be perfectly fine in this case.

Was kinda hoping they would build an office tower at least 60+ at the northwest corner of adelaide and young... o well.

same here, i'd like for ba 2 to be taller than ba 1, i want the design to be really different, my 2 big things are no box and i think a black glassed building would be cool in the northern half of the financial district

The completed phase has a square floorplate, and the north building looks like it'll be rectangular, so I think it'd be interesting if they designed the east phase as a perfect cylinder.

80+ would create a perfect peak in the skyline. I think something like that will be built in the future, with the existing buildings on the block forming the base.

Back