Toronto Bathurst Quay Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | Kearns Mancini

I was wandering around the Bathurst Quay area last week and we went out on the 'quay' that runs west of Norway Park the RED line on the map below. Does anyone know if the City has plans to fix it up? It looks to be in fairly good condition but needs some repairs, benches and maybe the, now standard, rail or barrier of some kind at the edge.
View attachment 428738
It' pretty narrow but creating a thin promenade might work... perhaps wooden decking on top to create a boardwalk (plus barriers on the south, benches, hang some long horizontal flower planters along the barrier etc.). Could be neat.

It' pretty narrow but creating a thin promenade might work... perhaps wooden decking on top to create a boardwalk (plus barriers on the south, benches, hang some long horizontal flower planters along the barrier etc.). Could be neat.
It's probably 12 feet wide and quite a few people go there now (There were at least 10 when I was there), it's certainly wide enough to have a few well-placed benches etc etc. I suspect it actually belongs to Ports Toronto NOT the City so the City may not be able to (or want to) do anything.

I was wandering around the Bathurst Quay area last week and we went out on the 'quay' that runs west of Norway Park the RED line on the map below. Does anyone know if the City has plans to fix it up? It looks to be in fairly good condition but needs some repairs, benches and maybe the, now standard, rail or barrier of some kind at the edge.
View attachment 428738

Now look what you've done!

I get back from a nice Saturday morning stroll and trip to the farmer's market and you send me down a rabbit hole on this..................I still haven't found the answer yet, but in reading 4 months of meeting minutes for the BQNA.....I have to go update other threads!

Pfft.

PS, why don't we check in with @bowen who might know the answer to this one.....

Reactions: DSC
Also, for those not able to mentally place the area @DSC is talking about............this is it:

1664043764224.png

At first blush, I would deem the following to be plausible improvements:

1) Eliminate some or all of the on-street parking, this would allow the landscaped buffer/boulevard to expanded by about 2M .
2) Add a row of elegant lighting along the waterfront edge trail
3) Add seating, mixing both benches and Muskoka chairs as well
4) Employ alternate ground covers in spots, similar to the new treatment on Queen's Quay making use of shrubs and perennials to add beauty
5) Consider a 'shared street' design for Stadium Road using interlocking pavers.
6) Improved landscape on northern side of road * (or eliminate this space with a hard fence at the lot line and consolidate the public space to the south side of the road.
7) Finally, it might be possible to consider a water-level path ** this option may be precluded for ship navigation.

Going further west of where @NorthernLight has shown, Stadium Road ends and the boat club property begins BUT the "public' quay remains and is still quite wide enough for some benches etc.

View attachment 428773

Clearly a new surface is needed in this section.

There certainly appears to be room for some seating, and lighting.

I don't see much opportunity for landscaping, however, I would suggest removing the ugly chain-link fence w/barbed wire, and replacing it with non-scalable faux wrought iron in jet black.

It should then be possible to string plants along it that will grow upwards and hang from the fence, adding some visual interest and green as well.

Also, for those not able to mentally place the area @DSC is talking about............this is it:

View attachment 428763

At first blush, I would deem the following to be plausible improvements:

1) Eliminate some or all of the on-street parking, this would allow the landscaped buffer/boulevard to expanded by about 2M .
2) Add a row of elegant lighting along the waterfront edge trail
3) Add seating, mixing both benches and Muskoka chairs as well
4) Employ alternate ground covers in spots, similar to the new treatment on Queen's Quay making use of shrubs and perennials to add beauty
5) Consider a 'shared street' design for Stadium Road using interlocking pavers.
6) Improved landscape on northern side of road * (or eliminate this space with a hard fence at the lot line and consolidate the public space to the south side of the road.
7) Finally, it might be possible to consider a water-level path ** this option may be precluded for ship navigation.

I "liked" your post... but you ignored my brilliant suggestion for a very friendly wooden surface.

Perhaps you are tired from your stroll. Or perhaps you fear for the trees that would have to give their lives...

sybertechwastereduction14.png

Link

I "liked" your post... but you ignored my brilliant suggestion for a very friendly wooden surface.

Perhaps you are tired from your stroll. Or perhaps you fear for the trees that would have to give their lives...

sybertechwastereduction14.png

Link

LOL, no, not so tired, just got distracted going down that rabbit hold DSC sent me down and didn't read further after that, my bad.

Your suggestion is entirely reasonable.

The issue with wood is “slippery when wet” and prone to icy bits. I used to live in the area and the wooden wave decks along QQ can be treacherous in the winter months.

The issue with wood is “slippery when wet” and prone to icy bits. I used to live in the area and the wooden wave decks along QQ can be treacherous in the winter months.

Interesting..............I find the Boardwalk in the Eastern Beach very walkable in most of winter. The sun tends to melt anything generally, if not there's a healthy layer of snow for traction.

I wonder if the sharp angles cause some shadowing where the sun doesn't melt ice as well? Or, perhaps, it's just less frequent use in winter?

This stretch is a dead-end, so it's sort of hidden (and quiet). Interestingly, Google map marks it as a 'city skyline and sunset viewpoint". Not much skyline view from there, and I've never been there at sunset to verify that it's a great viewpoint.

Screenshot (3).png

This stretch is a dead-end, so it's sort of hidden (and quiet). Interestingly, Google map marks it as a 'city skyline and sunset viewpoint". Not much skyline view from there, and I've never been there at sunset to verify that it's a great viewpoint.

I feel like the best photographer of Toronto sunsets/sunrises there is; @kotsy should weigh in on this spot.

Back