News   Apr 23, 2024
 74     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 836     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 286     0 

Toronto Bands!

there are many!!! tokyo police club is verry good. Barenaked Ladies,:):) broken social scene and Metric (kinda). Unfortunatley, the almight 'Hip' are from kingston :(

Hidden Cameras, Fritz Helder, Kids on TV, Stars (sort of), Metric, Junior Boys (Hamilton, close enough), Broken Social Scene, Do Make Say Think, Madrid, Sianspheric (Burlington, close enough), Rose Chronicles, MSTRKRFT, Caribou, Holy Fuck, Tokyo Police Club (Newmarket, close enough), You Say Party We Say Die (I think), etc.

Kingston can have The Hip.

Newmarket, Milton, Mississauga, Oshawa, Hamilton. If you are talking about a music scene, these are almost arbitrary boundaries. If you can get your gear in your van and get from A to B in the same afternoon, you can stake your claim in the so-called "scene".

That said, I think Toronto has one of the most underrated music scenes out there. Lately there's been quite a few T.O. bands on international festival bills.... But naming a couple of annual events: Canadian Music Week and North by Northeast. They are examples that Toronto has something to showcase.

That's right I forgot them! They are current darlings of the U.K. music press. Hopefully Toronto's mostly backwards radio will pick-up on them soon.

magImage.php

Spiral Beach, Jon Rae and the River (he's from BC originally), Final Fantasy, the Creeping Nobodies, Controller.controller, Dragonette (furthering the Sorbara family dynasty!), Ohbijou, Magneta Lane, Apostle of Hustle

How did people forget to mention "The Sadies"? (I'm looking at you, Darkstar!)

how does Toronto's music scene stack up against the rest of the country?

More like against the rest of the world and it's in the top 5.

i don't know that the Junior Boys would like being told their a "Toronto" band. Hamilton pride and all.

The Russian Futurists and Cansecos are really good, too.

NME just changed their cover to this week's issue, but that WAS a cover of Crystal Castles.

Oh and The Russian Futurists are most excellent, but are from Peterborough. However, I think Matthew Adam Hart (sp?) may live here now anyway. I can't believe I forgot Controller.Controller too. I used to work with one of their members at Sunrise Records in Brampton. They broke-up last year though. :(

In Support of Living is another excellent T.O. band!

Matt hart has lived here for about 8 years, and only lived in Peterborough for maybe 3. He actually recorded his first record in London Ontario, while he went to college there. He'd say he's from Toronto, and even has a track called "you-dot, me-dot, T-dot" all about lov'n in TO.

I'm not a groupie, I swear.

Back