Toronto Backyard Neighbourhood Condos | 24.99m | 10s | VANDYK | Kohn

And notice that I'm not beating the drum for Alderwood. That's a purely spec-banal affair. Stonegate, though, has that "Faludi thing" going...

Wow. That would be _quite_ a change... and about time. I saw a pdf of the initial discussions for redevelopment back in 2003. At that time, there was a proposal to incorporate supportive senior's housing into the mix. I don't see mention of that here. It would be good to have some as that is missing in the area.

I lived in the area for eight years, up until last month. (am now down in the States for a mid-life career reboot) I am an avid urban cyclist, dumped my car while living there and joined AutoShare. It wasn't always convenient; a redevelopment of this type, especially if it incorporates an AutoShare or ZipCar node for the neighbourhood, would make a HUGE difference.

One of the key questions to the shape of the area is whether the redevelopment and intensification is going to occur _within_ the neighbourhood or migrate out to the Queensway as it is redeveloped. This would anchor it _in_ the area, which is key to the neighbourhood's overall convenience and liveability.

I' see that room has been allowed along the street sides for a broad sidewalk that would accommodate patios and bike racks. However, I think that some accommodation will need to be made for just-off-street parking, especially if the local convenience stores transfer business to the new building. There will be enough people wanting to stop while leaving/arriving in the area in cars. (yeah, I know....) Right now the nearest Timmie's is at the Esso station at the Queensway. Get a coffee shop on that corner and there will be a lot of car traffic in addtion to the early morning bus users.

Although I don't see this mentioned anywhere in the Urban Toronto discussion, once a new grocery store is in place, I expect that there will be an increase in bike traffic from the north along the river pathway. This is too handy to cycling residents in the buildings along Bloor St. not to be used.

And..... there really needs to be a) a gelato or ice cream shop/coffee shop on the Stephen Dr side frontage to serve all those urban path trekkers in need of a break, as well as b) a neighbourhood patio with a good microbrew. I intend to be back in the city in a couple of years and I want a nice place to stop. :)

Last edited:
All things considered, I wonder if this *does* presage a Regent Park-like redevelopment of the Stonegate area--I suppose the only municipal sticking point being the (temporary?) loss of affordable apartment housing, etc...

It's all the talk down at the Stonegate lack of Valumart today that the plaza has been sold. I don't know how to look up who has purchased it. Anyone?

From the October 3rd Etobicoke Guardian:

The new owners of Stonegate Plaza are set to host a community meeting next week, introducing themselves to local residents in advance of their redevelopment of the site.

Representatives from the Vandyk Group of Companies development corporation, which purchased the 150 Berry Road plaza in late august will welcome members of the community on Monday October 7, at 6:30 p.m. in the worship space at Christ Church St. James, 194 Park Lawn Rd.

Gerard Caverson, VP of Finance for Vandyk, said the meeting was suggested by local councillor Peter Milczyn as a means of introduction, and also to showcase for the community some of Vandyk’s past and present redevelopment projects.

“There won’t be a whole lot discussed about the (Stonegate) property, for the simple reason that we only closed on Aug. 27,” he said, noting that Vandyke sent out 2,400 invitations to Monday’s meeting via Canada Post.

“I’m sure that the community is interested to what’s in store for the development… but the only thing I do know that I can tell you is we did not buy the site to upgrade it as a retail plaza”

Come on out and watch me declare war on these dopes!

Last edited:
On Vandyk. Replacing the only stores in a neighbourhood with townhomes will create a car-dependent suburb, totally anti-urban, totally last-century thinking.

On Vandyk. Replacing the only stores in a neighbourhood with townhomes will create a car-dependent suburb, totally anti-urban, totally last-century thinking.

And that was already done w/Berry Plaza to the west a decade or so ago.

Though they didn't say it'd be townhomes: just that they wouldn't upgrade it as a retail plaza. For all we know, we're looking at a discount-brand version of the Humbertown redevelopment here...

Looks like adma is right, and their cute comment earlier was meant to say that it won't just be a plaza. Looks like we are looking at three mid-rise buildings, town homes, and a plaza with grocery store. Phew!

No renderings here, just a massing study.

The church is packed to the rafters.

Image later.

Front page story… here.

Image of concept plan… here:

ConceptMassing960.jpg

Attachments

• ConceptMassing960.jpg
    ConceptMassing960.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 1,090
There was an architect at the meeting who has worked for Vandyk before, but as his firm does not yet have the job here, he did not want to be identified, so I'm respecting that request. I'd be happy if his firm were hired, mind you…

Back