Markham Aviva Canada | ?m | 12s | Remington Group | BDP Quadrangle

No underground parking proposed. To initially be surrounded by a sea of surface parking, with an above ground garage to someday be erected to serve the building once other office buildings begin to replace the surface parking. A reality of developing the suburbs?

essentially. They could at least have done what they are doing in VMC and stuck a single level of underground parking underneath..

Aviva HQ (Downtown Markham, Remington, 12s, ???)

New Office building for Downtown Markham, 350k square feet, 1500 employees, construction already underway.

I6xNPFk.jpg

y2y9Yeu.jpg

Why wouldn't they build underground parking here ! I think that's a mistake (compared to say the project in Vaghaun). The previous 2 office buildings on this site also use above ground parking. I guess one day they could build a giant parking garage.

Thats the plan.

The Vaughan one only has a single level of underground parking anyway, it isn't exactly a lot.

Imagine if they leased this in a downtown Toronto office building such as the office tower near the Ice Towers (16 York)? That would be so cool...yet another tower added to the core but instead they choose suburban Markham.... :(

Imagine if they leased this in a downtown Toronto office building such as the office tower near the Ice Towers (16 York)? That would be so cool...yet another tower added to the core but instead they choose suburban Markham.... :(

Well they were never in the core, this is a big loss for Scarborough ... which keeps loosing jobs over the years. A couple years back State Farm left as well (to Newmarket) another 1000-2000 jobs. There have been more. Enbridge is about too ship out ~ 2500 people to Houston, again from Scarborough.

As much as the core prospers many other parts of Toronto don't.

Last edited:
the current Aviva HQ has limited days anyway, its a small suburban office building along the eglinton LRT, completely set back from the street. Its incompatible with the future of Eglinton regardless.

Scarborough will fare better once the Crosstown is in, the is BD extended, and GO is converted to CityRail standards.

cityrail is a very, very long way off, especially on Stouffville. Metrolinx seems intent on bringing it to Lakeshore sometime soon, but the current plan for the Stouffville line is all day 2 way sometime late this decade. They are actually doing an EA on that right now, the only AD2W expansion that they are working on. (which leads me to believe it will be the first one built)

http://www.gotransit.com/public/en/improve/Stouffville_Rail_Expansion_PIC_1_EN.pdf
http://www.gotransit.com/public/en/improve/Stouffville_Rail_Expansion_PIC_2_EN.pdf

Scarborough will fare better once the Crosstown is in, the is BD extended, and GO is converted to CityRail standards.

I completely disagree ... watch and see ... it won't happen. You could make the same argument for SCC, yet you see no new office construction and the existing office stock has some of the highest vacancy rates in the GTA.
I think what plays out here is just the reputation of the area in general, it sounds silly, and I completely agree it is; But I've heard on a few accounts (with smaller firms) that their employees would typically live in say Markham.

I don't understand this. Why isn't there a path down the hill, north from the station. Instead people who don't want to take the bus 1 block have to make a lengthy detour to the east first? There don't even appear to be sidewalks. I suppose if a ramp is not possible GO might not want to make an unaccessible path that required stairs. Still doesn't explain the sidewalk thing. Even if they're waiting for development west of the tracks, there are parts on the East where they could have put them in.

Back