Toronto The Avenue | ?m | 19s | Camrost-Felcorp | P + S / IBI

Lame buildings like this remind me why so many people, myself included, love the Toronto box. This pseudo classy dreck used to be the coin of the realm in Toronto in the pre-Twenty Niagara, District Lofts, Radio City days. The Avenue reminds us that the enemy is still out there, hiding crouched in the bushes. Who is this enemy?: Bad Taste!

Anyway, its a real shame that such an important corner is now home to this pitiful pile of lame-o pomo posturing.

I agree, but I would add: lame-o pomo posturing isn't really hiding. It seems to be the standard style for the Yorkville set in the 00s: think the Hazelton, the Regency, the Wengle Townhouses, etc. This style seems to signify "upper class" more than a glass box does - Four Seasons notwithstanding. It's frankly more modest (less ritzy) buildings like X, Lumiere and Murano that are carrying the design standard forward.

Last edited:
Lame buildings like this remind me why so many people, myself included, love the Toronto box. This pseudo classy dreck used to be the coin of the realm in Toronto in the pre-Twenty Niagara, District Lofts, Radio City days. The Avenue reminds us that the enemy is still out there, hiding crouched in the bushes. Who is this enemy?: Bad Taste!

Anyway, its a real shame that such an important corner is now home to this pitiful pile of lame-o pomo posturing.

As I wrote in the Home Page article version of the post above,

While much of the architecture of the last several decades on neighbouring blocks of St. Clair Avenue itself is resolutely modernist, The Avenue takes its design cues from the traditional architectural styles found on the neighbourhood streets of nearby Forest Hill and Deer Park, from where many purchasers of units at The Avenue are expected to come.

the reason that buildings are still designed like this, is that there are many purchasers lining up to buy into buildings that look this way. That vague traditional look is architectural comfort food for a great deal of the population.

I wish this corner had taken its design cues from the towers immediately across Avenue Road to the east...

EastofAvenue1.jpg

EastofAvenue2.jpg

...but it wasn't to be.

The arcade isn't the biggest problem - it is the fact that there is absolutely nothing there for pedestrians to interact with - all those windows with white curtains, bleh. The only bright side is that the structure isn't so overpowering vis-a-vis the neighbourhood from the looks of it - unlike the other CF sore thumb that's RoCP 1&2 - which has one of the cheapest looking base among all the major projects of late. Come to think of it, I can't think of any well designed CF project; DNA is pretty crappy too in that regard.

AoD

ROCP and DNA were done by Canderel Stoneridge. Camrost had done 9T6 and King's Court.

No problem, though I initially thought you were correct, which made me cringe at the thought of how the base at Aura will turn out.

As I wrote in the Home Page article version of the post above,

the reason that buildings are still designed like this, is that there are many purchasers lining up to buy into buildings that look this way. That vague traditional look is architectural comfort food for a great deal of the population.

I wish this corner had taken its design cues from the towers immediately across Avenue Road to the east...

EastofAvenue1.jpg

EastofAvenue2.jpg

...but it wasn't to be.

Well, it "sort of" takes cues from the latter--at least, in how it was a conservative design for its time...

Back