Toronto Avenue & Park | 29.56m | 7s | Stafford | P + S / IBI

someMidTowner

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Member Bio
Reaction score
This is for the Beer Store on Avenue Road north of Lawrence:

http://app.toronto.ca/DevelopmentAp...ion=init&folderRsn=3932429&isCofASearch=false

1580 AVENUE RD
Ward 16 - North York District

►View All Properties

7 storey residential building with at grade retail. Beer store would remain on site as tenant. Access to below grade parking and loading from Avenue Road. Residential lobby entrance from Bedford Park.
Proposed Use --- # of Storeys --- # of Units ---
Applications:
Type Number Date Submitted Status
Site Plan Approval 16 140660 NNY 16 SA Apr 14, 2016 Under Review
Rezoning 16 140646 NNY 16 OZ Apr 14, 2016 Under Review

Screen Shot 2016-04-15 at 9.28.59 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-04-15 at 9.28.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-04-15 at 9.28.59 AM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 3,278
It's P+S/IBI
1580.JPG
1580-2.JPG
1580-3.JPG
1580-4.JPG
1580-5.jpg
1580-6.jpg

Attachments

• 1580.JPG
    1580.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 2,203
  • 1580-2.JPG
    1580-2.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 2,208
  • 1580-3.JPG
    1580-3.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 2,008
  • 1580-4.JPG
    1580-4.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 2,057
  • 1580-5.jpg
    1580-5.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2,135
  • 1580-6.jpg
    1580-6.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3,635
Funnily enough, I would say that building on Spadina just south of Bloor is urban blight begging for redevelopment. It's a hulking mass which has never been particularly kind to the street. Not that I'm expecting it to be replaced anytime soon…

I love 720 Spadina. It may not be the easiest thing to like but it's both truly mixed use (retail, office and residential) and an interesting exercise in unabashedly brutalist form-making. Especially when one considers the true "blight" in the area: the disgusting, dithery, un-focused mess that is Mosaic to the north, it's a gem.

Drunken architecture to replace a beer store. A perfect fit.
While this doesn't look beautiful to me exactly, I don't mind the "drunken" look of the multi-peaked upper storeys: I see just a touch of whimsy in that, which I'm appreciative of. I am glad to see in the elevation drawings that the spandrels are listed as precast/composite panel, so they won't be back-painted glass, thank goodness. What we need here, however, is something other than dun gray colouration. What do we need to do to have developers and architects spare us from further gray?

While this doesn't look beautiful to me exactly, I don't mind the "drunken" look of the multi-peaked upper storeys: I see just a touch of whimsy in that, which I'm appreciative of. I am glad to see in the elevation drawings that the spandrels are listed as precast/composite panel, so they won't be back-painted glass, thank goodness. What we need here, however, is something other than dun gray colouration. What do we need to do to have developers and architects spare us from further gray?

You haven't experienced gray unless you've visited Aberdeen, Scotland. Basically every single building in the city is the same, monontonous tone of gray.

You haven't experienced gray unless you've visited Aberdeen, Scotland. Basically every single building in the city is the same, monontonous tone of gray.

Well they used to call Toronto "Belfast of the North" for the city's strict Protestantism. Maybe we can be the "Aberdeen of the North" because we're so gray? :p

Well they used to call Toronto "Belfast of the North" for the city's strict Protestantism. Maybe we can be the "Aberdeen of the North" because we're so gray? :p
Ironically, Belfast and Aberdeen are further north than Toronto.

I miss the buff brick of old Toronto homes and buildings. I wish we'd get more of that. I too like the multiple peaks on the upper levels of this building and agree that it needs something other than grey. The only colour on this seems to be green from plants and trees which won't be green in the winter.

I love 720 Spadina. It may not be the easiest thing to like but it's both truly mixed use (retail, office and residential) and an interesting exercise in unabashedly brutalist form-making. Especially when one considers the true "blight" in the area: the disgusting, dithery, un-focused mess that is Mosaic to the north, it's a gem.

Yeah, the biggest offender at 720 Spadina is actually just the landscaping, which could use a refresh and should be less broken up.

The blank wall along Spadina of the JCC (which actually is quite engaging along Bloor) followed by Mosaic with only a ridiculously small convenience store as its retail creates dead space that is far more offensive.

Anyway, back on topic (or more so), I actually don't mind grey and was pleased when it began to be used more frequently a decade ago. However, it is now overdone, and I agree with the other posters here, tiresome as a result.

Back