Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

Yep, that stupid building is going to be a permanent, annoying "floater" in the collective eye of the city for the rest our living days. The only solution? More annoying floaters to block that one.

I wonder if the basement might undergo a rehaul into the future- the current situation isn't likely going to improve.

I honestly think that Aura is not hated as much by everyday people as it is here.

Had a friend ask me "why do people hate it" yesterday. I explained the disaster of the retail basement, but really, it's just a tower. I even enjoy the light feature in Aura's crown at night.

There are way more egregious architecture and material finishing in other parts of the city. One just needs to walk a block east to Church or north to College.

I honestly think that Aura is not hated as much by everyday people as it is here.

Had a friend ask me "why do people hate it" yesterday. I explained the disaster of the retail basement, but really, it's just a tower. I even enjoy the light feature in Aura's crown at night.

There are way more egregious architecture and material finishing in other parts of the city. One just needs to walk a block east to Church or north to College.

Many everyday people also think EIFS clad monster houses to be perfectly fine as an aesthetic statement, so there. And in terms of egregious architecture and finishing - the point behind, those projects aren't a 70+ story tower. With scale and height comes responsibility.

AoD

Many everyday people also think EIFS clad monster houses to be perfectly fine as an aesthetic statement, so there. And in terms of egregious architecture and finishing - the point behind, those projects aren't a 70+ story tower. With scale and height comes responsibility.

I think of Steve Job's quote about Microsoft when I see the comments here about Aura.

The only problem with Microsoft is they just have no taste. They have absolutely no taste. And I don’t mean that in a small way, I mean that in a big way, in the sense that they don’t think of original ideas, and they don’t bring much culture into their products. I am saddened, not by Microsoft’s success, I have no problem with their success. They’ve earned their success, for the most part. I have a problem with the fact that they just make really third-rate products.

Steve Jobs, 1995

The building is for most part a big success (save for the basement). Not easy creating such a massive building. Lots of people now live here, filled a big scar on Yonge and I'm sure a lot of money was made. But they clearly have a lack of taste. Aura could have been a standout. As it is it only stands out because of the height (and the lights at the top which I think are quite excellent).

The building is for most part a big success (save for the basement). Not easy creating such a massive building. Lots of people now live here, filled a big scar on Yonge and I'm sure a lot of money was made. But they clearly have a lack of taste. Aura could have been a standout. As it is it only stands out because of the height (and the lights at the top which I think are quite excellent).

When all is said and done in 10-20 yrs. and the towers of the Chelsea Green, 8 Elm, YSL, and most likely more @ the north/east corner of Gerrard and Yonge...nobody will notice 'whats up with Aura'

so does anyone know when/if the PATH connection from college park to dundas will be built? on the official map it just says "future walkway"...
thanks in advance!

Back