Project Essentials / dataBase – detailed project information, floor plans, renderings
Projects & Construction Thread  I  Real Estate Thread
Aura at College Park 
388 Yonge Street, Toronto
Developer: Canderel Residential

Aura at College Park | 272m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza | Page 776

Discussion in 'Buildings' started by 3Dementia, Jun 2, 2006.

1. jje1000

jje1000 Senior Member

I wonder if the basement might undergo a rehaul into the future- the current situation isn't likely going to improve.

2. AlvinofDiaspar

AlvinofDiaspar Moderator

Assuming someone is willing to buy out all the individual owners, sure.

AoD

3. WislaHD

WislaHD Senior Member

I honestly think that Aura is not hated as much by everyday people as it is here.

Had a friend ask me "why do people hate it" yesterday. I explained the disaster of the retail basement, but really, it's just a tower. I even enjoy the light feature in Aura's crown at night.

There are way more egregious architecture and material finishing in other parts of the city. One just needs to walk a block east to Church or north to College.

4. AlvinofDiaspar

AlvinofDiaspar Moderator

Many everyday people also think EIFS clad monster houses to be perfectly fine as an aesthetic statement, so there. And in terms of egregious architecture and finishing - the point behind, those projects aren't a 70+ story tower. With scale and height comes responsibility.

AoD

Lenser and GenerationLee like this.
  5. Conrad Black

Conrad Black Senior Member

I think of Steve Job's quote about Microsoft when I see the comments here about Aura.

The building is for most part a big success (save for the basement). Not easy creating such a massive building. Lots of people now live here, filled a big scar on Yonge and I'm sure a lot of money was made. But they clearly have a lack of taste. Aura could have been a standout. As it is it only stands out because of the height (and the lights at the top which I think are quite excellent).

6. Automation Gallery

Automation Gallery Superstar

When all is said and done in 10-20 yrs. and the towers of the Chelsea Green, 8 Elm, YSL, and most likely more @ the north/east corner of Gerrard and Yonge...nobody will notice 'whats up with Aura'

Lenser likes this.
  7. madknife

madknife New Member

so does anyone know when/if the PATH connection from college park to dundas will be built? on the official map it just says "future walkway"...
    thanks in advance!

8. Lenser

Lenser Senior Member

Because it won't stand out like a sore thumb.

9. brianmac

brianmac New Member

I walk through the basement three-four times a week from the parking garage to get to the gym. I originally was aghast at the basement shops, but as I've got to know the people who run the shops and realize in a way as the modest retail gets pushed off or Yonge street due to high taxes and new buildings, the fact that there is a place that someone can start a shop and build something with reasonable rent is a positive. Even as a less expensive bricks and mortar location for a business (Apple repair) or cleaning, it works. Yes half of the stores are still empty and I feel bad every time I don't buy a gatorade from the variety shop, my belief that the need for options beyond high cost store fronts is to be supported.

kotsy likes this.
  10. Hamiltonian

Hamiltonian Active Member

Lots of potential for the basement shops to become something of a pacific mall type environment. I think that'd be fantastic.

11. DSC

DSC Senior Member

Clearly not until that block (actually 3 blocks) gets developed, and someone is willing to or forced to, build the tunnel under Gerrard. Of course, it WILL be done but it won't be soon. However, even if (when) the link towards Dundas is built there is still the problem that the Aura building's links to College Park are so crappy.

12. AlvinofDiaspar

AlvinofDiaspar Moderator

You know you have hit rock bottom when one have to rely on/hope for surrounding developments to mitigate the architectural bankruptcy of this project. A damning indictment.

AoD

alklay likes this.
  13. AlvinofDiaspar

AlvinofDiaspar Moderator

Isn't that what they imitated (to the point of selling the microretail units instead of leasing them out) and utterly failed at?

AoD

W. K. Lis, Amare and interchange42 like this.
  14. DSC

DSC Senior Member

Don't forget that the Aura basement units are all individually owned while Pacific Mall has one owner. Far harder to get lots of individual owners to move in one direction. Also, I suspect the taxes, rents & fees at Aura are FAR higher than those at PM and I bet the PM profit margins are not high so similar businesses being able to afford higher fixed costs will be very difficult.

Hamiltonian likes this.
  15. BobT

BobT New Member

Greetings to everyone here, I decided to make my first post in the forum after two months of reading and learning. This past Thursday I moved into Aura after relocating to Toronto from Manitoba. I had never seen the building In person, only in pictures. I have to say, my first impression has me hoping I can stay here for a long time. I absolutely love this place! The views from the 73rd storey have me speechless. The interior of the condo itself is awesome. I was surprised at how quiet the building is, and quite pleased, as I am a light sleeper.

Thank you to everyone contributing to the forums. I have learned a lot from you.