Project Essentials / dataBase – detailed project information, floor plans, renderings
Projects & Construction Thread  I  Real Estate Thread
Aura at College Park 
388 Yonge Street, Toronto
Developer: Canderel Residential

Aura at College Park | 272m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

I honestly think that Aura is not hated as much by everyday people as it is here.

Had a friend ask me "why do people hate it" yesterday. I explained the disaster of the retail basement, but really, it's just a tower. I even enjoy the light feature in Aura's crown at night.

There are way more egregious architecture and material finishing in other parts of the city. One just needs to walk a block east to Church or north to College.
Many everyday people also think EIFS clad monster houses to be perfectly fine as an aesthetic statement, so there. And in terms of egregious architecture and finishing - the point behind, those projects aren't a 70+ story tower. With scale and height comes responsibility.

AoD

Conrad Black

Many everyday people also think EIFS clad monster houses to be perfectly fine as an aesthetic statement, so there. And in terms of egregious architecture and finishing - the point behind, those projects aren't a 70+ story tower. With scale and height comes responsibility.
I think of Steve Job's quote about Microsoft when I see the comments here about Aura.

The only problem with Microsoft is they just have no taste. They have absolutely no taste. And I don’t mean that in a small way, I mean that in a big way, in the sense that they don’t think of original ideas, and they don’t bring much culture into their products. I am saddened, not by Microsoft’s success, I have no problem with their success. They’ve earned their success, for the most part. I have a problem with the fact that they just make really third-rate products.

Steve Jobs, 1995
The building is for most part a big success (save for the basement). Not easy creating such a massive building. Lots of people now live here, filled a big scar on Yonge and I'm sure a lot of money was made. But they clearly have a lack of taste. Aura could have been a standout. As it is it only stands out because of the height (and the lights at the top which I think are quite excellent).

The building is for most part a big success (save for the basement). Not easy creating such a massive building. Lots of people now live here, filled a big scar on Yonge and I'm sure a lot of money was made. But they clearly have a lack of taste. Aura could have been a standout. As it is it only stands out because of the height (and the lights at the top which I think are quite excellent).
When all is said and done in 10-20 yrs. and the towers of the Chelsea Green, 8 Elm, YSL, and most likely more @ the north/east corner of Gerrard and Yonge...nobody will notice 'whats up with Aura'

madknife

so does anyone know when/if the PATH connection from college park to dundas will be built? on the official map it just says "future walkway"...
thanks in advance!

brianmac

I walk through the basement three-four times a week from the parking garage to get to the gym. I originally was aghast at the basement shops, but as I've got to know the people who run the shops and realize in a way as the modest retail gets pushed off or Yonge street due to high taxes and new buildings, the fact that there is a place that someone can start a shop and build something with reasonable rent is a positive. Even as a less expensive bricks and mortar location for a business (Apple repair) or cleaning, it works. Yes half of the stores are still empty and I feel bad every time I don't buy a gatorade from the variety shop, my belief that the need for options beyond high cost store fronts is to be supported.

DSC

so does anyone know when/if the PATH connection from college park to dundas will be built? on the official map it just says "future walkway"...
thanks in advance!
Clearly not until that block (actually 3 blocks) gets developed, and someone is willing to or forced to, build the tunnel under Gerrard. Of course, it WILL be done but it won't be soon. However, even if (when) the link towards Dundas is built there is still the problem that the Aura building's links to College Park are so crappy.

DSC

Lots of potential for the basement shops to become something of a pacific mall type environment. I think that'd be fantastic.
Don't forget that the Aura basement units are all individually owned while Pacific Mall has one owner. Far harder to get lots of individual owners to move in one direction. Also, I suspect the taxes, rents & fees at Aura are FAR higher than those at PM and I bet the PM profit margins are not high so similar businesses being able to afford higher fixed costs will be very difficult.

BobT

Greetings to everyone here, I decided to make my first post in the forum after two months of reading and learning. This past Thursday I moved into Aura after relocating to Toronto from Manitoba. I had never seen the building In person, only in pictures. I have to say, my first impression has me hoping I can stay here for a long time. I absolutely love this place! The views from the 73rd storey have me speechless. The interior of the condo itself is awesome. I was surprised at how quiet the building is, and quite pleased, as I am a light sleeper.

Thank you to everyone contributing to the forums. I have learned a lot from you.

DSC

Greetings to everyone here, I decided to make my first post in the forum after two months of reading and learning. This past Thursday I moved into Aura after relocating to Toronto from Manitoba. I had never seen the building In person, only in pictures. I have to say, my first impression has me hoping I can stay here for a long time. I absolutely love this place! The views from the 73rd storey have me speechless. The interior of the condo itself is awesome. I was surprised at how quiet the building is, and quite pleased, as I am a light sleeper.

Thank you to everyone contributing to the forums. I have learned a lot from you.
Welcome, avoid the basenent!