Project Essentials / dataBase – detailed project information, floor plans, renderings
Projects & Construction Thread  I  Real Estate Thread
Aura at College Park 
388 Yonge Street, Toronto
Developer: Canderel Residential

Aura at College Park | 272m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

The basement is truly sad and the street level is a missed opportunity for a gathering spot on Yonge, but I like the height, the top part of the tower and the light feature. I especially like the view of it from East Chinatown and from Yonge St. north and south.

Here is a distant view from Alexandra Park, taken yesterday.

aura_skatepark_oct15.png

Attachments

I was at Kaiju last week and they said that they are actively searching for a new location. I didn't realize this, but they don't own their unit, and their landlord, believe it or not, had demanded a steep rent increase. Bizarre, since they'll probably end up with a vacant and valueless unit once Kaiju moves out. I think it'll be good for Kaiju if they find a place with a bit more foot traffic (that is to say, pretty much anywhere except the Aura food court).
I would not be surprised if the landlords live overseas, and they have no idea of the situation with the rest of the food court. That's the only reason I can think of for any landlord to consider jacking up rent while the other 6 or 7 units remain empty.

Article on blogto:
http://www.blogto.com/eat_drink/2017/10/kaiju-closing-shops-aura-toronto/

steveve

The LED screen at the corner is a little more lively than it was before, cycling through a few different screens and giving more life to the intersection. On the main title screen, the white lines on the sides are a nice gesture to the crown lighting. They aren't lying, this really is a "one-of-a-kind" shopping centre ;) .

Irishmonk

Yep, that stupid building is going to be a permanent, annoying "floater" in the collective eye of the city for the rest our living days. The only solution? More annoying floaters to block that one.

jje1000

I wonder if the basement might undergo a rehaul into the future- the current situation isn't likely going to improve.

WislaHD

I honestly think that Aura is not hated as much by everyday people as it is here.

Had a friend ask me "why do people hate it" yesterday. I explained the disaster of the retail basement, but really, it's just a tower. I even enjoy the light feature in Aura's crown at night.

There are way more egregious architecture and material finishing in other parts of the city. One just needs to walk a block east to Church or north to College.