Aura at College Park | 272m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

A

adma

I don't think it's awful on that particular count, any more than I think the Scotia building at King + Bay is awful on that particular count. (Remember how retrograde/reactionary Scotia would have seemed to a Giedion-worshipping young architecture student c1950.)

Not that I love the base; more than I can take it or leave it. Now, if it were a template for the reworking of Maclean-Hunter's 80s-modern banality, *then* I'd be concerned. As it stands, the old/new and the new/old make for intriguing collision-course counterpoint...

J

jericho32

I think they took their cue from the Addison car dealership a block up Bay but somehow mangled it in the process.

S

Suicidal Gingerbread Man

196 m / 643 ft

I can't wait to see a large a detailed rendering. My only real concern at this point is the loss of space along Yonge. I feel very strongly that the corner should be anchored with something public..more place for the sidewalk artists.

S

Suicidal Gingerbread Man

My eyes must be deceiving me, but I swear that looks like an A/C vents in the rendering on top of each of the buildings.

A

alklay

Suicidal Gingerbread Man, I am sure they are vents. Even the much praised 18 Yorkville has them (and they are not that successful even in that building).

W

wyliepoon

Not exactly impressive, in my opinion, but at least it's better than the existing surface parking lot.

M

Mike in TO

Page three of the report:

"Subsequent to the submission of this application, the proponent has met with City Planning staff to discuss a potential revised concept based on a single tall tower, but to-date, the applicant has not submitted a formal revised proposal."

S

Suicidal Gingerbread Man

MrOttawa.

I think any of us can speculate at this point, based on that one line in the report.

S

Suicidal Gingerbread Man

Suicidal Gingerbread Man, I am sure they are vents. Even the much praised 18 Yorkville has them (and they are not that successful even in that building).
It seems a bit odd to incorporate the vents into the design so prominently. I guess that's better than pulling a Riviera, and tacking the A/C vents on after the fact, thus ruining the design.

G

Greg29Toronto

Given the project's projected height, Yonge Street and downtown location this could have been a great opportunity for Canderel Stoneridge to have put this phase into a design competition for something really unique, bold and eye catching like The Absolute in Mississauga.
Just dreaming out loud.

I

interchange42

Yeah, but then Canderel Stoneridge might suddenly be saddled by people expecting quality from them.