Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

^ They already do... it's called the hundreds of people who actually made an investment in or choose to call on of thier condos "home" - each and everyone of those people expect quality from them.

To suggest no one expects quality from Canderel Stoneridge is preposterous.

^
Mike. It was a facetious comment, I'm sure. Don't take it all so seriously.

Yes, I was being facetious to a degree, but I have 2 underlying complaints with Canderel Stoneridge: 1) friends of mine live in Newport Beach, CS's first Toronto complex, and the number of problems they have had with shoddy workmanship and equipment there is disturbing, and 2) I am not personally a fan of Graziani + Corazza Architects, whose design work I do not consider to be of the highest calibre, and whom I think Canderel Stoneridge should drop.

G+C stuff is not terrible, but with every project I think they miss the mark in some way: the high-profile ones include Newport Beach, which has those ridiculous turretted cupolas, Waterford with those all-but-blank walls facing the Gardiner, and RoCP I and II with that miniscule podium (and we have yet to see how the rooflines of those two will actually look). G+C are also responsible for lots of pretentiously ornate slabbariffic stuff up on north Yonge, etc.

(Lest I single G+C out as the only architects in town that I am underwhelmed by, let me assure you there are others.)

Interchange,

I would agree that Newport Beach is pretty ugly as far as condos go. But your comments on workmanship are not an issue just with Canderel - all of Toronto and I could say most of the province is suffering from a serious shortage of skilled labour (Immigrantion policy lets bankers in, but carpenters would not qualify in the current point system) - the point being that builders and developers desperately need more and better trades people, but they just can't get the necessary labour supply needed to complete projects to the highest standards. Unfortunately the situation is only going to get worse as the oldest trades continue to retire (the average bricklayer in Ontario is 55 years old), few young people enter into construction as a career and immigration policy is slanted towards more 'educated' persons, rather than the persons that industry desperately needs (in Alberta they are flying Mexicans in to build homes).

Not to mention, we are actively kicking out illegal immigrants who are working in the trades industry in the GTA...

AoD

speaking of firms, I've yet to see a well designed streetlevel from Core Architects eventhough I'm fond of their style

I love deco, but I hope this will not be some faux-deco appendage to College Park. A nice contrasting modern building, a real landmark, would be great for what is arguably one of the last great sites for a highrise along downtown Yonge.

I thought CREWS was created to address the worker shortage in skilled trades. I'm not against deportation of illegal immigrants when their point of original is a peaceful country. A person who finds it acceptable to break immigration laws to make money will likely find it fairly acceptable to evade taxes to save money. I'm all for changes to immigration rules but law breakers are still law breakers. Illegal immigrants working in the trades only takes the pressure of fixing the system so people can work here legally. Who knows what wages illegal immigrants are getting paid, unlike CREWS which would set the rules for wages a back door method of finding people could be paying peanuts. I know someone who was working in Canada before having proper papers and was getting paid half of minimum wage in a kitchen.

P.S. This is off topic but Mike in TO and AoD took it there.

Height Increase

Element over on SSP reports ROCPIII has been revised to a single 75 STOREY tower at the corner of Yonge/Gerrard. That would put it arounf 240m.

He states the renderings are breathtaking!

Anyone else no about this, or know if Element is a reliable source?

Re: Height Increase

I can't even find the thread. Could you attach a link?

July 5: Rumour of very tall, very beautiful building emerges.
July 5-11: Speculation, discussion, arguments over proto-proposal, and rumours about architect responsible.
July 12: Rumoured revision downward of building height.
July 23: Confirmation of reduced height, but exact height remains unknown. Possibility of two smaller buildings much discussed.
August 2: Approval documents show 55 storey building, fairly unpleasant, architect is G+C.
August 3: Discussion of glass colour begins.

August 5: I complain about the faux-historic precast being used.

April 10, 2007: Heritage L'Oreal hoarding from Metropolis relocated to Yonge & Gerrard.

I haven't been able to find a lick of info about this new RoCP and its supposed new height. just a lot of people referencing other people who know people who have seen it. no es bueno.

Papa,

What you are refering to is a butterfly flapping its wings in Malaysia (just before death) causing a hurricane in the Golf of Mexico. Rumours are not too different.

Back