Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

ICE2 was a nightmare at one point earlier this year... back then only 1 elevator for the top 30 floors. Worst time was 25 minutes from button press and wait to street level with all the stops in between. Now they're all (3) working but you can never predict how many floor stops on the way down (assuming none are on service) and you need to factor in at least 10 minutes to get from your unit's door to lobby on the very best of days. Three elevators for that many units is just not enough. Food for thought on next move. Yeah, the views are great, but...

That's terrifying... Our building is 20 floors with 3 elevators. They're currently undergoing full refurbishment to digital with the associated cab, motor and cable replacement.

It's been fun with one elevator digital, one analog, and another out of service. Small steps..

Some new condos require residents to go down to the lobby/concierge to ask "permission" to go to another floor to see another resident. Along with restricted stair access, I would not want to live in such a place.

That's normal in Vancouver - all floors are locked off.
Your fob activates your floor and the parking levels. If you have a relative on another floor you may be able to program your fob to access multiple floors, but that's an exception.
Some boutique projects have biometric access with fingerprints (which would be a hassle because you can't just give keys to friend or guest (but it would prevent AirBnB use).

That's pretty interesting. It's much more like a multi-tenant office building then. I'm not sure if I like it or not - I guess in my current situation, I have friends, and made friends in my condo building, and so it'd be quite the hassle. But if you can have your fob programmed to multiple floors it's not so bad. People living on floors where amenities are would be kinda screwed in this scheme, though I guess the condo's would be laid out much differently than what we are used to in Toronto.

Concord Park Place. It's ridiculous. You have to go to the lobby any time you want to receive a guest or food delivery. It's not a dangerous area but Concord must think these buyers are unreasonably frightened of the outside world.

It's not a Concord thing. Most elevators in the city have this feature. It's up to the condo boards as to whether the feature is used or not.

Quantum at Yonge and Eglinton had it when I lived there, and my board at Luna Vista activated it about 4 years after construction. It makes for a MUCH safer building and really isn't a hassle at all. When you ordered food, the delivery guy simply had to register at the front desk and would be let up by concierge.Luna Vista only has it activated from 10pm-6am, so the rest of the day you don't need to use the fob.

It also allowed property management to mark pizza boxes/delivery packages with unit numbers so they could trace them back to a unit when they clogged up the garbage chute.

It's not a Concord thing. Most elevators in the city have this feature. It's up to the condo boards as to whether the feature is used or not.

Quantum at Yonge and Eglinton had it when I lived there, and my board at Luna Vista activated it about 4 years after construction. It makes for a MUCH safer building and really isn't a hassle at all. When you ordered food, the delivery guy simply had to register at the front desk and would be let up by concierge.Luna Vista only has it activated from 10pm-6am, so the rest of the day you don't need to use the fob.

It also allowed property management to mark pizza boxes/delivery packages with unit numbers so they could trace them back to a unit when they clogged up the garbage chute.

I've never seen it in any of the condo buildings I've lived in until I got to Park Place, and here they won't even let delivery guys check in; you have to go down every time. Even more annoying is the massive size of the fob you have to carry around everywhere with you. I could see this feature being worthwhile in a dangerous neighbourhood, but I seriously question whether this additional level of security is needed at Sheppard and Leslie. People are frightened of their own shadows these days.

[...]I seriously question whether this additional level of security is needed at Sheppard and Leslie. People are frightened of their own shadows these days.

Are you kidding? That's a super dangerous neighbourhood. Have you been to IKEA on a Saturday afternoon? Hordes of rabid zombies swarming the place. Scarier than most of the scenes in The Walking Dead. The hordes could easily wander over to Park Place, looking to eat your brains and purchase affordable coffee tables.

Are you kidding? That's a super dangerous neighbourhood. Have you been to IKEA on a Saturday afternoon? Hordes of rabid zombies swarming the place. Scarier than most of the scenes in The Walking Dead. The hordes could easily wander over to Park Place, looking to eat your brains and purchase affordable coffee tables.

I don't know about Saturday afternnoon, but the rabid zombies are always out in full force to hit the $1 breakfast before 11am. :p

AoD

zombies.jpg

(Credit: Idea Sessions)

Attachments

• zombies.jpg
    zombies.jpg
    326.3 KB · Views: 2,490

Brains. With lingonberry sauce.

I've never seen it in any of the condo buildings I've lived in until I got to Park Place, and here they won't even let delivery guys check in; you have to go down every time. Even more annoying is the massive size of the fob you have to carry around everywhere with you. I could see this feature being worthwhile in a dangerous neighbourhood, but I seriously question whether this additional level of security is needed at Sheppard and Leslie. People are frightened of their own shadows these days.

It's kind of odd that you would be complaining about FOB access in such a building. Did you not understand this concept when you moved into the building?

This type of feature is something that many residents do like. It is a security issue for some - they do not want ex-girlfriends/boyfriends, ex-wives/husbands, solicitors and the like knocking on their suite doors. It has nothing to do about how dangerous a neighbourhood is - it's about personal safety and security.

It's kind of odd that you would be complaining about FOB access in such a building. Did you not understand this concept when you moved into the building?

This type of feature is something that many residents do like. It is a security issue for some - they do not want ex-girlfriends/boyfriends, ex-wives/husbands, solicitors and the like knocking on their suite doors. It has nothing to do about how dangerous a neighbourhood is - it's about personal safety and security.

Of course I understood it, but there are obviously more important factors to consider when purchasing a home than how annoying the fob system is.

Anyway, most condo buildings require a fob to enter the building and, far more importantly, have 24-hour on-site security, so securing the floor itself just seems over the top to me. And yeah, I'd happily deal with occasional solicitor (assuming they were even allowed into the building) if it meant I didn't have to go down to the lobby every time I had a guest or a pizza delivery. That's what peepholes and deadbolts are for.

Of course I understood it, but there are obviously more important factors to consider when purchasing a home than how annoying the fob system is.

Anyway, most condo buildings require a fob to enter the building and, far more importantly, have 24-hour on-site security, so securing the floor itself just seems over the top to me. And yeah, I'd happily deal with occasional solicitor (assuming they were even allowed into the building) if it meant I didn't have to go down to the lobby every time I had a guest or a pizza delivery. That's what peepholes and deadbolts are for.

Property Management has enlisted the help of a company called Parkhead. They are working on a system that will allow you to grant access to your guest(s) via the P1 intercom. The system will unlock the elevator for a period of a few minutes, which will allow your guest(s) to come up to your floor without you having to meet them downstairs. This option will be available soon. As for meeting the delivery drivers downstairs, it can be annoying. The issue is, there is no area for them to park without getting ticketed ($250 for the Fire Route) - so by meeting them downstairs, you are, in a way, saving them a lot of money :).

Back