Toronto 25-55 St Clair Avenue East Building Rehabilitation | ?m | 11s | PSPC | DIALOG

So, in my humble opinion (and I'm open to my mind being changed), Charles B. Dolphin is the perfect example of everything wrong with Toronto architecture of the past. It is boring, uninspired, forgettable at best, but most commonly displeasing. This building and Hudson's Bay at Yonge/Bloor are examples of the displeasing architecture by Charles Dolphin, in my personal opinion. Just because something is old, it should not automatically qualify for the heritage designation status. Bad architecture, such as this building, should be gotten rid of over time.

In attributing Hudson's Bay at Yonge/Bloor to Charles Dolphin, you just waltzed yourself into earning yourself a big fat F in Toronto's architectural history, and thereby disqualified any further opinion you have on the matter.

In attributing Hudson's Bay at Yonge/Bloor to Charles Dolphin, you just waltzed yourself into earning yourself a big fat F in Toronto's architectural history, and thereby disqualified any further opinion you have on the matter.
Alright, touche, you got me. He only designed the subway station underneath the Hudson's Bay. My bad. Point taken. Let's keep going though, what about this, the Arthur Meighen building though? What merit does it have to be conserved? Whether my opinion is qualified or not, I would still like to know yours.

Maybe this picture will help. The building has obvious period features that it is very unfortunate we are losing. If you did a cursory google search for Charles Dolphin, you’d see the type of architecture he contributed to the City, which speak to each other as a whole.

I’m all for renovating buildings, but not without thought. I have also always found this building handsome as it is.

1544279578502.jpeg

The artwork's a bit on the nose, don't you think?
I would have liked a bit more creativity in the image choice, but I suppose the government can't really afford to license artwork like Slate did for the Buca space.

Back