Toronto Aquavista at Bayside | 46.94m | 13s | Tridel | Arquitectonica

Waterfront Toronto apparently wants a main street atmosphere with retail along the street. One day, they can close the street to cars, but in the beginning it'll be open to vehicles to draw the city in.

Then how come Chorus Quay and George Brown didn't need a road?

Those buildings don't have blocks of retail fronting the lake. (Against the Grain itself is at the foot of a new street.) They must figure that to have a main street environment, you should actually have a street. That's what's most successful in this city.

Last edited:
Everything in Bayside so far looks like a complete write-off.

This thing looks awful, and the podium actually resembles some of the worst podium designs I saw in school the first time we had a project designing a residential building on a podium. I'm dead serious when I say that.

Everything in Bayside so far looks like a complete write-off.

This thing looks awful, and the podium actually resembles some of the worst podium designs I saw in school the first time we had a project designing a residential building on a podium. I'm dead serious when I say that.

Not surprised, it's very 'Miami' in this regard. Was there just last month and they really do a crappy job at maximizing the pedestrian experience with their condos.

This development looks better than the boxes built in front of the Toronto star building

Last edited:
This whole part of the waterfront is shaping up to feel very 'resort' like, i.e. private enclaves fronting a token strip of public realm, in this case lakefront path rather than beach. Little to no hope for an urban pedestrian realm in sight!

From WT CEO Report fort their February 2015 Board:

Tridel and Hines have obtained their first building permit for Aqualina (first building of Bayside) and are now under construction. Marketing Aquavista (second Bayside building) which contains the affordable housing pilot project with Artscape has gone extremely well with over 80% sold. Tridel and Hines are pursuing their municipal approvals including Site Plan Approval and Building Permits for Aquavista.

http://app.toronto.ca/DevelopmentAp...icationsList.do?action=init&folderRsn=3709273

The Site Plan Application for a 13-story mixed-use building consisting of approximately 228 residential condominium units, 3,112 sq.m. of ground floor retail (approximately 33, 497 sf), and approximately 342 vehicular parking spaces for resident, tenant and visitor use. Parking is distributed on four below grade levels, interspersed with approximately 330 bicycle parking spaces. The residential condominium component of the building has been designed to accommodate families of all sizes (61 % lBO, 34% 2BD and 5% 3BD).
Proposed Use --- # of Storeys --- # of Units ---
Applications:
Type Number Date Submitted Status
Site Plan Approval 15 124470 STE 28 SA Mar 5, 2015 Under Review

This permit seems to be for Aquavista:

Application: New Building Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5A 1B6

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 15 176396 BLD 00 NB Accepted Date: Jun 18, 2015

Project: Mixed Use/Res w Non Res New Building

Description: Proposal to construct a 12 storey mixed-use building with 308 dwelling units (80 affordable housing units) with 4 levels of underground parking and commercial at grade.

NB Zoning Review Not Started
Zone 3 Tamondong, Ray Contact Info
NB* Code Review Pt3 Not Started
Code 3 Krsmanovic, Gordana Contact Info
NB* Fire Review Pt3 Not Started
Fire 3 Kaczmarek, Peter Contact Info

Yes, that would be it! Glad to see that this will be going up shortly after Aqualina. Maybe they'll be able to move the excavation equipment right from the first site to the second?

If you want to see some of the most terrible floorplans imaginable, check this project out. Which is even more disappointing, because the awkward plans don't even equate into a satisfying exterior form.

This is one example. I especially enjoy the pentagonal W/D closet and strange bedroom, to say nothing of the overall layout. The amount of unusable and circulation space is huge in comparison to actual usable space.

ssSBRGMl.png

Last edited:
Wow! That floor plan is shockingly bad. Normally I get upset at the sight of a hallway wasting space, that's just ridiculous!

Back