Toronto Aquavista at Bayside | 46.94m | 13s | Tridel | Arquitectonica

View attachment 218880
I look forward to seeing what businesses go in there, I have to imagine some sort of restaurant/cafe/Starbucks. Is this going to be one of the more residential stretches of the downtown waterfront? Just thinking how that might effect how the Promenade is animated in the future.
There's already a Tim Hortons and Starbucks close by, granted that means nothing because they seem content to settle on top of their own locations. I'm really hoping a unique restaurant moves in.

View attachment 218880
I look forward to seeing what businesses go in there, I have to imagine some sort of restaurant/cafe/Starbucks. Is this going to be one of the more residential stretches of the downtown waterfront? Just thinking how that might effect how the Promenade is animated in the future.
I wouldn't consider this one of the more residential stretches of the DT waterfront, if anything it will be the opposite in 5-10 years with the numerous planned office buildings and additional George Brown Collage building.

There is also buzz that the retail location above will be a new organic grocery store.

20191230_130524.jpg
20191230_130512.jpg
20191230_130424.jpg
20191230_130407.jpg
20191230_130713.jpg
20191230_130742.jpg
20191230_130853.jpg
20191230_131217.jpg

Not sure I like this one. Has a genuine lake presence, but rather squarish response to the other 3 facades, making it seem internally focused. Just not doing it for me.

This one wasn't very well recieved, I think mostly because of the material choices, which make it feel heavy and dull. I wish they'd gone for something brighter and added some colour. But the lakeside curve is nice, and I quite like the east and west sides – those angled units ensuring everyone gets a lake view and more sun are a nice idea, and they make for a cool play of light and shadow as the day goes by, which makes those faces interesting to look at. The north side is by far the worst – it's a heavy, unwelcoming slab – but that'll be almost entirely obscured by an office building.

I'd give this building a B rating. IMO, it's a steady improvement over the first phase Aqualina to the west of it, which feels instantly dated and looks like it arrived from the mid-2000's Humber Bay Shores. The application of brick here on Aquavista helps define the angled balconies better than the first phase, especially on the east and west sides. Along with the curved central component on the lake facing perspective, which I find to be well executed overall. Perhaps a different shade of brick would have lightened it up more visually and softened up the massing.

Someone at Tridel just gets cold feet whenever it's time to actually order any materials that are coloured, nervously picking grey out of fear that anything bolder might offend. This should have been done in red/orange brick, but instead it's dark ironspot and the building looks like a space fortress.

The problem for me is the cheap window-wall/spandrels. Tridel went for the standard, unimaginative, Toronto-toolkit type - of course - where the architecture and lakefront location demanded something more elevated. There isn't a lot of window-wall here but there's more than enough to bring the whole building down. That's how toxic it is.

I don't mind the building nor the cladding; I think both are fine. What really irritates me, however, is the extension of that road that wraps around the building next to the lake/boardwalk area. Why was that necessary?? Every single other building in the area (Corus, George Brown, the condo next to it) has an access road that ends short of the lake, allowing the building to go right up right against the walkway. Why is this an exception to that?

This building's architecture has many great touches. You can tell that Tridel tried to do something nice, with the distinctive wave-like curve in the south facade, the terraced facade rising from the water's edge, and the sawtooth arrangement of balconies on the east facade. However, the grey brick really detracts from the playful nature of the architecture expressed in the wave. In terms of mood, it's a very serious colour that seems inappropriate with the general whimsical vibe of the building. As such, it looks confused and awkward.

We have some of the most boring, melba-toast builders shaping our waterfront. Tridel, Daniels..throw in Menkes.

Seriously, they used GREY! GREY! If you banned grey...how many developers here would go out of business? Completely whiffed here similar to Cityplace. Hopefully things turn around.

We have some of the most boring, melba-toast builders shaping our waterfront. Tridel, Daniels..throw in Menkes.

Seriously, they used GREY! GREY! If you banned grey...how many developers here would go out of business? Completely whiffed here similar to Cityplace. Hopefully things turn around.
Hmm, this seems like quite the stretch to me. Yea, it is a dull grey, and yes we need more colour overall in Toronto (not just on the waterfront), but this structure is far from "melba-toast" and not an accurate comparison to CityPlace (from an urban planning perspective or architecturally). I'm also tired of UT members using CityPlace as a blanketed comparison.

While this condo might not be as exciting as some other developments in the city (aka KING Toronto), the building has some interesting shapes, smart urban design (huge retail component, affordable units, etc.) and decent materials (majority is hand laid brick). I personally love the sawtooth design on the east and west sides. The north side is disappointing, but as mentioned earlier, it will be completely blocked by the 3XN stunning timber buildings.

While I agree with most on the choice of brick colour (it feels too heavy for the waterfront vibe), the overall rating in my opinion is a B (a B+ once the north side is covered).

Maybe the end result of this building is what sparked 3XN and Tridel to shift the next phase (Aquabella) to a light grey from dark grey window wall? This future next door neighbour's light grey cladding, bold white trim and brown hues, should help lighten-up this block. I'm also looking forward to the final phase – Aqualuna's striking curves and bronze cladding.

Hmm, this seems like quite the stretch to me. Yea, it is a dull grey, and yes we need more colour overall in Toronto (not just on the waterfront), but this structure is far from "melba-toast" and not an accurate comparison to CityPlace (from an urban planning perspective or architecturally). I'm also tired of UT members using CityPlace as a blanketed comparison.

While this condo might not be as exciting as some other developments in the city (aka KING Toronto), the building has some interesting shapes, smart urban design (huge retail component, affordable units, etc.) and decent materials (majority is hand laid brick). I personally love the sawtooth design on the east and west sides. The north side is disappointing, but as mentioned earlier, it will be completely blocked by the 3XN stunning timber buildings.

While I agree with most on the choice of brick colour (it feels too heavy for the waterfront vibe), the overall rating in my opinion is a B (a B+ once the north side is covered).

Maybe the end result of this building is what sparked 3XN and Tridel to shift the next phase (Aquabella) to a light grey from dark grey window wall? This future next door neighbour's light grey cladding, bold white trim and brown hues, should help lighten-up this block. I'm also looking forward to the final phase – Aqualuna's striking curves and bronze cladding.

I was comparing the parcel of land that they are redeveloping to what happened at cityplace. Better builders, same blandness.

More gray in the way!

Back