Toronto Aquavista at Bayside | 46.94m | 13s | Tridel | Arquitectonica

I don't agree that the colour is the problem here; there's no spandrel paneling that would've looked half decent with this design, IMHO, and that's on Tridel. And for the architect's part, the built form isn't doing much for me here, either, and far worse than nothing on its western neighbour, which I find to be a hulking and uninspired mass (which is not unique among Arquitectonica's portfolio, either).

If you hate on every single use of spandrel for the sake of hating on spandrel, you will have a tough time enjoying anything about contemporary architecture. Let's face it, spandrel window-walls are here to stay. Might as well give into that thought. I personally think that there are legitimate uses for typical spandrel with pronounced mullions that actually look good. King Portland / Kingly is a good example of that. The keys are:
1. Combine spandrel with other materials such as brick
2. Use spandrel sparingly
3. Create contrast between spandrel and other materials
Kingly does all 3 points well. Aquavista, on the other hand, does #1 well, half-asses #2 and completely flops on #3.

As far as build form goes, I actually like this building on that front. It reminds me very much of a seaside warefront resort or hotel I've seen somewhere (but can't remember where). The curvy wave-shaped southern facade suits waterfront perfectly well, IMHO. So as I said, my only gripe is the non-contrasting spandrel color choice. But let's agree to disagree on that one.

This is bad, but it's oh...soooo Toronto. I wouldn't expect this in any other city but here. Some builders just shouldn't be allowed to build in key areas IMO.

East side is shaping up nicely.

I can't tell because of the shadows; is the majority of the cladding around the balconies on the east side spandrel or brick?

Waterfront: We've been trained to turn our backs on the Gardiner/Lake Shore/rail - downtown waterfront. Even Erickson's nice try early on at QQw does it. Who wouldn't (future generations may complain lol). Maybe someone will build something nice 360 degrees looking forward - despite the lack of common sense (view, noise etc).

Lived in the Esplanade (my first condo shoebox) and I swear it had south windows looking over the tracks. Better than TV.

I realize we have built 3 feet from the Gardiner, just talking waterfront.

Back