45458964285_36537d244f_b.jpg

45648604684_f6c0dc80d9_b.jpg

45458965865_3ee7b9c0cb_b.jpg

32499666578_6cfaac4c28_b.jpg

32499668258_4e9db6a7d3_b.jpg

46320415202_0f1be4303a_b.jpg

45648607984_e1b832d690_b.jpg

45648609114_b91fce3e8b_b.jpg

I love the curves on this building but I can't understand why they would choose dark grey for this location. What other city puts dark grey buildings right on a central part of the waterfront? Why not blue or white or any other colour besides dark grey? Hell, even a light shade of grey would have been better for this Miami-style building. The back side of this building is dreadful but I'm at least thankful it's brick and not completely grey spandrel!!!

The sad part is, this building could have been so nice with just a bit of colour! Doesn't a prime waterfront location count for anything in this city?

I love the curves on this building but I can't understand why they would choose dark grey for this location. What other city puts dark grey buildings right on a central part of the waterfront? Why not blue or white or any other colour besides dark grey? Hell, even a light shade of grey would have been better for this Miami-style building. The back side of this building is dreadful but I'm at least thankful it's brick and not completely grey spandrel!!!

The sad part is, this building could have been so nice with just a bit of colour! Doesn't a prime waterfront location count for anything in this city?
Get onto social media and put Tridel and Arquitectonica on blast for this. I did. I figure if all of UT moans and complains on Twitter as much as we do in the forum, developers and architects ought to get the message in a few years time.

The grey can work, but not as it is now.
At the very least, add a vibrant accent color someplace ... the balconies perhaps, but someplace.
Too bad, it's a reasonable building, but so much grey on grey with a bit more grey.
I'll be interested to see it in person.

The odd thing is that this and its neighbour to the west are such clunkers, but the two that'll join to the east look to be fantastic, even though it's the same developer. Is Tridel's philosophy here, "two for us, where the driving force is purely profit maximization, then two where we give a little back to the community"?

The odd thing is that this and its neighbour to the west are such clunkers, but the two that'll join to the east look to be fantastic, even though it's the same developer. Is Tridel's philosophy here, "two for us, where the driving force is purely profit maximization, then two where we give a little back to the community"?
Aquavista didn't have to be a clunker. It would have looked amazing (including the north side) had they chosen literally any other color for the spandrel cladding. Even the north side has some nice features with window rows shifting positions as they go up the building. If they had chosen light or brightly colored spandrel to highlight those features, this building would have been a total home run all-around. It would have been "1 for us, 3 to the community", But, alas, it will be 2 vs. 2 instead, and it's not like the building profitability depends on the color of the spandrel either. I don't know if Tridel is even to blame here. Aren't the color choices more up to the architect?

My understanding is that the two buildings to the east are to be sold at a much higher price point, so they'll probably make a healthy profit on those too. The pattern with Tridel seems to be mediocre or bad architecture for the mid-end buildings and good architecture for the high-end buildings (see also: Bianca). Though SQ and Form might just sneak into the "good architecture" category despite not being particularly high-end.

Aquavista didn't have to be a clunker. It would have looked amazing (including the north side) had they chosen literally any other color for the spandrel cladding. Even the north side has some nice features with window rows shifting positions as they go up the building. If they had chosen light or brightly colored spandrel to highlight those features, this building would have been a total home run all-around. It would have been "1 for us, 3 to the community", But, alas, it will be 2 vs. 2 instead, and it's not like the building profitability depends on the color of the spandrel either. I don't know if Tridel is even to blame here. Aren't the color choices more up to the architect?

I don't agree that the colour is the problem here; there's no spandrel paneling that would've looked half decent with this design, IMHO, and that's on Tridel. And for the architect's part, the built form isn't doing much for me here, either, and far worse than nothing on its western neighbour, which I find to be a hulking and uninspired mass (which is not unique among Arquitectonica's portfolio, either).

This is far from a clunker. It's just.. bland. Same really with Aqualina. Not a bad project per se, just absolutely no flavour to it.

These would be great projects in a more anonymous location. The problem is that they are right on Toronto's limited waterfront frontage.

Exactly -- I'm certainly judging Tridel's contribution here in context of the location, and I think that's totally fair game.

Back