Toronto Aqualuna at Bayside | 61.87m | 18s | Tridel | 3XN

I love the fact that although Tridel proposes to raise the height envelope, the concept massing is actually much more pleasing from a public realm perspective vs the approved zoning with the shorter slab building

Honest question -- would 3XN be willing to put their name on these projects if they didn't control the materials and execution? Is Kirkor actually doing anything here besides routing the plumbing and HVAC ducts and signing the working drawings?

Unfortunately Kirkor's role is arguable more vital than 3XN's. Ideally, both firms would work together to a satisfying result but in reality, it's 3XN drawing a few enticing pictures and Kirkor going full steam on the execution.

For example, there's a troubling amount of 'Aluminum Metal Panel' on the SPA set for Aquabella. A drawing set on which 3XN's name doesn't appear once.

Unfortunately Kirkor's role is arguable more vital than 3XN's. Ideally, both firms would work together to a satisfying result but in reality, it's 3XN drawing a few enticing pictures and Kirkor going full steam on the execution.

For example, there's a troubling amount of 'Aluminum Metal Panel' on the SPA set for Aquabella. A drawing set on which 3XN's name doesn't appear once.

To give forumers a sense of what it meant - from the SPA Arch Plans:

upload_2017-8-2_10-54-39.png

Aluminum Metal Panel in Grey - it's slightly sloppy looking. Though to be fair the updated renderings didn't hide that fact - but firms like aA would have inspired more confidence.

AoD

Attachments

• upload_2017-8-2_10-54-39.png
    upload_2017-8-2_10-54-39.png
    270.2 KB · Views: 1,737
Finally something attractive on this stretch of the lakeshore. Corus and George Brown were very disappointing. The condo to the east of GB was a bit better.

To give forumers a sense of what it meant - from the SPA Arch Plans:

View attachment 116891

Aluminum Metal Panel in Grey - it's slightly sloppy looking. Though to be fair the updated renderings didn't hide that fact - but firms like aA would have inspired more confidence.

AoD

Definitely Kirkor has a role in detailing the facade as well- note how the all-glass facade in the original concepts for Aquabella became peppered with spandrel (aluminum in this case) panels.

I wonder how much of a role they had in detailing Aqualina as well- and if Architectonica is less so to blame for the way the project came out.

If Tridel continues on its current path, I have little faith the final form will come as depicted in the renderings.

Last edited:
Is Kirkor also doi
Definitely Kirkor has a role in detailing the facade as well- note how the all-glass facade in the original concepts for Aquabella became peppered with spandrel (aluminum in this case) panels.
I wonder how much of a role they had in detailing Aqualina as well- and if Architectonica is less so to blame for the way the project came out.
If Tridel continues on its current path, I have little faith the final form will come as depicted in the renderings.

If they use full (or almost full) height glazing and aluminum panels the result won't be bad. If not, expect an Aqualina. Waves on the other hand will be even more demanding as proposed.

AoD

Looks great, unfortunately I don't have much faith in Tridull.

Hopefully they can do justice to this.

okay, cool thx. Sry probably should've read that doc first. But it's long, and I don't often open .pdfs if on mobile. Hopefully it won't be painted metal, but actually something true like copper. Maybe even embossed. Would add warmth, depth, and natural variety (especially with a patina over time).

Back