Toronto Aqualina at Bayside | 47.85m | 13s | Tridel | Arquitectonica

From what I've been told the founders have always been more interested on the insides of their buildings rather than the outsides. The purchasers live inside and not outside is what they believe.

I think that it's a bit of a shame that there is this 'either-or' thought, since there are cumulative benefits to well-designed exteriors (and urban environments as a result).

I also think that line of thinking that purchasers live inside and not outside perhaps reflects Tridel's suburban roots- in the downtown core where there isn't as much as room, the public realm essentially is an extension of the living space- which makes the need for good exterior architecture all the more apparent.

There's clearly room for well-designed exteriors, considering that Ten York hasn't disappointed as of yet, and there are plenty of well-designed buildings around the world that managed to balance the exterior and interior needs- I think Tridel just needs to spend the money on higher-class materials, and perhaps accept the occasionally interior oddity in response to exterior archiectural features- or maybe the exteriors just need to be designed in a way that better reflects interior arrangements (no spandrel facades pretending to be all-glass facades).

Tridel has been learning over the past decade from UrbanToronto comments that paying attention to the exterior pays dividends, or at least you can cut down on the number of catcalls a project gets. While they're still taking hits for window wall here, and while not everyone appreciates the Arquitectonica framed boxes design here, they are definitely paying attention to the exteriors now…

at least downtown.

Tridel has been learning over the past decade from UrbanToronto comments that paying attention to the exterior pays dividends, or at least you can cut down on the number of catcalls a project gets. While they're still taking hits for window wall here, and while not everyone appreciates the Arquitectonica framed boxes design here, they are definitely paying attention to the exteriors now…

I actually had exactly that discussion with someone from Tridel at the recent(ish) Dupont condo public consultation, and he acknowledged that the criticism has been heard over there and said that there's been an effort to respond to it. He pointed directly to the sample material display board for Bianca as evidence that it's more than mere talk.

(Troubling, though, was his genuine surprise that I pointed to this project as evidence that they definitely aren't all the way there, yet...)

Yup, they are still happy to work with Kirkor on projects like West Village.. but even then their suburban stuff has improved in a way. Material selection is better than it used to be, and they have dropped the kitschy architecture for a cleaner more modern aesthetic, typically. Their project at Islington subway station comes to mind.. simple modern architecture that will likely rely a little too much on spandrel, but an improvement over their projects at Kipling station from a few years ago.

Yup, they are still happy to work with Kirkor on projects like West Village.. but even then their suburban stuff has improved in a way. Material selection is better than it used to be, and they have dropped the kitschy architecture for a cleaner more modern aesthetic, typically. Their project at Islington subway station comes to mind.. simple modern architecture that will likely rely a little too much on spandrel, but an improvement over their projects at Kipling station from a few years ago.
Islington Terrace is not bad, but check out Auberge on the Park at Leslie and Eglinton. They've gone with the plan there that the DRP thought was a bad joke.

Earlier today.

DSC03845.jpg
DSC03849.jpg

Attachments

• DSC03845.jpg
    DSC03845.jpg
    572.2 KB · Views: 450
  • DSC03849.jpg
    DSC03849.jpg
    327.3 KB · Views: 470
Fancy schmancy lobby at #55!! (Also, I've noticed the top front cube is lit at night, and not garishly bright).

Aqualina1.jpg

Aqualina2.jpg

Aqualina3.jpg

Aqualina4.jpg

Aqualina5.jpg

Attachments

• Aqualina1.jpg
    Aqualina1.jpg
    310.9 KB · Views: 468
  • Aqualina2.jpg
    Aqualina2.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 450
  • Aqualina3.jpg
    Aqualina3.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 444
  • Aqualina4.jpg
    Aqualina4.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 453
  • Aqualina5.jpg
    Aqualina5.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 504
Last edited:
At night, they have the light feature for topmost northern section on. It's pretty underwhelming, but I guess it's something.

Back