Toronto Aqualina at Bayside | 47.85m | 13s | Tridel | Arquitectonica

Slight resemblance to Harbour Terrace (401 Queens Quay).

deal-queensquay_1342414cl-8.jpg
eb3.png

...Maybe not. I guess it's just the angles.

Last edited:
well they are both long rectangular footprints, running perpendicular to the shoreline... somewhat referencing the long warehouses that used to sit on the waterfront and piers. In massing only of course. I'd love to see some well done recreations of the warehouse style here... I've seen several well done examples in Boston.

This is the only image I can seem to find in a hurry here:

291969.jpg

I don't know why but so far the most projects along the waterfront (WT or otherwise) have a distinctive avoidance of red brick. Correctly done it is one it is a material that ages well with warmth while fitting into the overall Modernist design vocab.

AoD

I like the rendering but agree the brick podium would add much needed variation and the garden would be really nice.

I talked to John Campbell from Waterfront Toronto about this and he says the most they can do is make recommendations through an upcoming design review panel but they don't have power to require changes.

WT's initial renders with the brick were only meant to show massing and overall layout.

WT will consider your feedback if you contact Christopher Glaisek (CGlaisek@waterfrontoronto.ca) on their design team but the person with the most influence is Avi Tesciuba of Hines Canada (avi.tesciuba@hines.com).

I don't know why but so far the most projects along the waterfront (WT or otherwise) have a distinctive avoidance of red brick. Correctly done it is one it is a material that ages well with warmth while fitting into the overall Modernist design vocab.

AoD

You can't repeat this enough. It's also a material that acknowledges the reality of our climate.

metathustra:

Welcome to the forum. I am sure there are plans/elevations/renderings presented during the DRP, but none of the materials for those meetings other than agenda and minutes are posted online. However, some of the less current versions of the design were made public in WT publicity materials (and you can find the links to them in this thread).

AoD

Couldn't find a thread for it, and it may not warrant one yet anyway, but the steel for what looks like a sales centre is going up on south the south side of Queen's Quay.

When I drove past a week ago, I thought the exact same thing. It's at the far east end of their site, and logically not next to Sherbourne Common where they would be constructing the first building(s). Hines plans on being here awhile...

Hoping that when this is finally launched that it will generate interest in this up-and-coming residential area and also help sales at Monde. Fingers are crossed.

Mine are crossed as well, but I find it unlikely to really speed up here until the streetcar extension gets funded.

When I drove past a week ago, I thought the exact same thing. It's at the far east end of their site, and logically not next to Sherbourne Common where they would be constructing the first building(s). Hines plans on being here awhile....

They were inserting the steel into the ground (piles) but why a sales centre would need piling is a bit of a mystery to me. There were several quite substantial warehouses on this site (demolished last year) which did not appear to require piles.

Back