Aqualina by Marcus Mitanis, on Flickr

Great photo set Marcanadian!

I never thought I would say this, but I'm growing more and more fond of the red steel columns which (unintentionally) provide colourful vertical accents to an otherwise monochromatic building face. A shame they will eventually be clad in white precast panels, although that won't be a tragedy either. Aqualina is turning our much nicer than I thought it would based on the early renders. The reflective glass and "dreaded" spandrel panels look pretty good to me.

The next time I'm in the city I intend to visit this site, because just looking at these wonderful pictures I still have the feeling the west side might be too close to the public water features. Perhaps, and I hope, that I'll feel differently when I can stand in the space. The fall colours of the trees along the entire waterfront promenade remain the most pleasing aspect of new development so far to my thinking. There is little in the actual building products along the stretch thus far that really stands out for me.

The next time I'm in the city I intend to visit this site, because just looking at these wonderful pictures I still have the feeling the west side might be too close to the public water features. Perhaps, and I hope, that I'll feel differently when I can stand in the space.

Partly because we tend to have a large amount of "buffer" between developments and parks - esp. in the form of roadway, which isn't present in this case. I am actually a huge fan of the sense of enclosure this provides.

AoD

Standards of UTers have become lower than ever, based on the commentary above. "It has gimmicky red beams so I like it." "It's actually not terrible! So that's good!"

I find the Queen's Quay elevation to be the biggest insult of all. But even considering the rest of the project, its materiality is not up to snuff and its architecture does very little to activate the public spaces, other than the fact that the building happens to run alongside the park. Blech.

This is our waterfront; the public spaces have been well done (kudos to WaterfrontTO) but we should not be applauding this type of building which is not deserving of its location.

Last edited:
The Building looks pretty darn cool when you are sitting in that park. I have done so myself many times.
I agree that the weakest aspect is the queens quay frontage. But I certainly don't think this is an insult. Not sure I will feel that way about the next phase though.

Back