Toronto ANX | 48.07m | 13s | Freed | Teeple Architects

unimaginative2

Member Bio
Reaction score
New dwellings planned for Dupont
DAVID GEORGE-COSH

August 22, 2007

The wheels of change are rumbling toward the northern edge of the Annex, one of the city's major property developers says.

Paul Wynn, who helps run the Wynn Group property management company with his brother Jeffrey, said he is looking into turning the property that stretches from 328 to 356 Dupont St., near Spadina Avenue, into a mixed commercial and residential development.

Rookie local councillor Adam Vaughan acknowledged that he has met with the Wynn brothers to talk about their plans, but said it will be some time before any formal development process begins.

"They're trying to figure out what the economics are for all the different types of projects and whether it's even worthy of going forward from there," said Mr. Vaughan (Ward 20, Trinity-Spadina). "I'm going to take them at their word, but at the same time I'm going to make sure that the neighbourhood knows that it's being looked at."

Mr. Wynn said he appreciates the strategic location of the property: It is large (about 46,000 square feet) and lies close to a subway station. (It is currently occupied by two four-storey buildings that are home to a mix of residential and commercial tenants.) He said he has kicked the tires on an idea to construct a family-oriented "15-storey building with some green space and townhouses ... with bigger apartments, about 1,000 to 1,500 square feet each."

He says he also considered a proposal for a three-storey big-box retailer with a three-storey parking garage.

No applications to redevelop the property have been filed yet and Mr. Wynn said he will collaborate with architects, the residents association and business-development groups to determine the best fit for the neighbourhood.

Robert G. Brown, a director of the Annex Residents' Association, said he looks forward to discussing Mr. Wynn's plans at a meeting that is expected to take place next month.

"I think there'll be a lot of interest, but I don't think there'll be any significant change in the next three to five years. There's so much going on right now. How many new buildings can this city absorb?" he said.

While Mr. Wynn decides on how to reshape his property, he said he is mindful of changes brewing in another corner of the Annex - the Honest Ed's building on the corner of Bloor and Bathurst Streets, which many expect to be redeveloped after the passing of Ed Mirvish.

"I guess that's going to have limited time because the land value is worth more than the business today," Mr. Wynn said. "I have no doubt in my mind that Honest Ed's will not be there five years from now."

Dupont & Kendal (Annex)

Preliminary discussion between ratepayers and a Wynn property at Dupont and Kendal abutting the train tracks have commenced. The applicant is interested in a 20-22 floor condo proposal. Land is currently zoned as employment uses and the set-backs (30m) from the railway could prove to be problematic for conversion to residential uses

20-22 floors? That's way too tall! That's just across the road from me! Practically my backyard! Can't it go in somebody else's backyard? Is the GTA so flat out of backyards that it's finally come to mine?

Regardless, 22 floors is still pretty damn big for the neighborhood. Though I suppose proximity to Uno Prii's handiwork will help.

330 Dupont (Wynn Group, 22 + 36s)

Proposal by the Wynn Group includes two residential towers (36 and 22 storeys) on four storey podiums that are planned to include retail units, an artist gallery and studio spaces. The proposal includes 384 units.

Dupont is in need of a serious makeover. It's such an ugly street. Too bad this proposal won't get off the ground anytime soon in this economic climate.

They appear to be leasing existing space on 330 Dupont for commercial uses.

I'm not sure how accurate this is, but looks like something's going to be demolished:

330duponteq1.png

Yeah, and 30 storey highrises are the solution to Dupont's woes.

Last edited:
Apparently Planning staff will not support this proposal, in which an application hasn't actually been submitted yet according to Adam Vaughan's Ward 20 e-newsletter I received. It also says 36 and 22 storeys.

The Wynn Group presented its latest plans for a development at 330 Dupont at a public meeting organized by Councillor Vaughan on January 12. This proposal included two residential towers (36 and 22 storeys) on four storey podiums. The podiums would include retail space, an artist gallery and studio spaces on the ground floor. The development would accommodate a total of 384 units within walking distance from Dupont subway station.

Although the developers have not yet submitted an application to City Planning, Planning staff told those at the meeting that they will not support the proposal in its current form. The land this development is proposed for is zoned Industrial-Commercial, and although a number of commercial uses were presented as part of the plans, City Planning will not support residential intensification on this site. In addition, the developers’ proposal to build live-work studios next to the CP rail corridor triggered safety concerns as the required setbacks from the rail line were not met.

The maximum height permitted on this site according to zoning bylaws is 14 meters (approximately 5 storeys). While many residents applauded efforts to incorporate artist live-work studios into the development, they also expressed serious concern over the proposed height and the impact that such residential intensification would have on traffic. Many people also felt that the proposed development was out of character for the neighbourhood and would set a negative precedent for future development on Dupont.

The Wynn group is currently reworking their plans and have expressed interest in meeting with the public again for additional feedback. One of the challenges with this site will be working to ensure that the employment opportunities that a new development brings will truly add to the neighbourhood. Because the land is zoned Industrial-Commercial, preventing a residential proposal will be much easier than preventing a large retail store (such as a Walmart) from being built.

Please visit www.adamvaughan.ca for updates on future public meetings regarding this proposal. For more information email councillor_vaughan@toronto.ca or call 416-392-4044.

^^^

I'm glad you found that because I was concerned about the railway lines.
Most properties along Dupont on the north side are not much longer than 100ft deep but I can't recall if the map grey posted is the actual location since google/yahoo maps can be off.

Edit:
I think the map is correct.
I just realized that the Wynn Group probably would be demolishing the 2 low rise buildings already there.

Last edited:
This ridiculous proposal for 22 and 36 storeys in a low-rise neighbourhood on Dupont does not have a hope in hell at either the City or the OMB. Massive changes to the plan will have to be made. Crazy.

I could see them being allowed to build a dozen storeys here, maybe a couple more than that, but why start so far off the mark to arrive at something around that height.

There are two other threads relating to this property:

http://www.urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?t=4687

http://www.urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?t=6142

Building something between 6-10 stories here would be a good way to set a precedent for Dupont, in my opinion.

At the annex meeting a week or so ago, the developers were really trying to provide the neighborhood with an interesting property. The presented plans that included a doubling of the amount of employment on the site, 40 artists live-work spaces (to be sold at cost!) and 84 of the 384 units in the towers would be three bedroom, providing space for families. They also planned to include a hotel in the east tower.

Also, the developer played the transit card heavily, noting that the building is about 200m from Dupont station.

Back