Toronto ANX | 48.07m | 13s | Freed | Teeple Architects

Mechanical penthouse has been reduced in size; precast sections added to the podium following community feedback.

Screen Shot 2019-09-05 at 9.44.21 AM.png

Dupont's been on the precipice of having many new developments for a while now — it will be interesting to start to see some of these happen and how it changes the feel of this area of the city.

Outside of the major arteries with a current or future subway running underneath it (Bloor, Danforth, Yonge, University, Sheppard, Eglinton), and streetcar routes (Queen, King, Dundas, College, St. Clair, Harbourfront), I'd reckon Dupont to have among the highest amount of new developments in Toronto.

From the stretch between Symington to Spadina, there's already 299 Campbell, Galleria redevelopment, 888 Dupont by TAS in the future, Sobeys @ Shaw, Litho, 500 Dupont (Beer Store), Bianca, ANX, and several townhouse projects.

Some are already well underway!

Definitely, though I think most are still below ground? I may be misremembering some that have reached grade or above. I suppose there's that storage unit one near Dufferin and I guess Fuse counts but it feels like it's been up in the sky for a while now – the entire time I've lived in the area at least. But most of the new developments are not yet started or still below grade like Litho or in tear-down phase like Galleria. These construction sites still kind of blend in to Dupont's barren industrial feeling vs. the topographical effect that having some start rising will have, and then what it will be like to have new streetwall, storefronts, and street-level activity etc along the street. Basically what I'm trying to say with my inaccurate generalization is that the street has been on the precipice of significant transformation for a while now with tons of projects and it's interesting to see them start to get moving!

Definitely, though I think most are still below ground? I may be misremembering some that have reached grade or above. I suppose there's that storage unit one near Dufferin and I guess Fuse counts but it feels like it's been up in the sky for a while now – the entire time I've lived in the area at least. But most of the new developments are not yet started or still below grade like Litho or in tear-down phase like Galleria. These construction sites still kind of blend in to Dupont's barren industrial feeling vs. the topographical effect that having some start rising will have, and then what it will be like to have new streetwall, storefronts, and street-level activity etc along the street. Basically what I'm trying to say with my inaccurate generalization is that the street has been on the precipice of significant transformation for a while now with tons of projects and it's interesting to see them start to get moving!

Yeah, agreed all around -- I also grew up in the area, and it's exciting to see it finally coalescing into a real neighbourhood. Litho is indeed above-ground (currently forming the third level in some places on the site); Bianca is pretty close to fully excavated, I believe; Piano Towns are nearing completion; Galleria's sales are apparently going quite well; not sure the status of the Tridel/Sobey's on Dupont between Shaw and Ossington (they did some site clearing of the gas station many months ago but it's been quiet since); 500 Dupont (Beer Store west of Bathurst) has been quiet for a while; as have the few more proposals along Dupont between Spadina and Lansdowne-ish.

And then you've also got the full slate of Davenport development proposals sited between its merge with Dupont and over to Avenue that are sort of an extension of all this activity, too.

The Dupont By The Castle BIA (or whatever it's called) also had a nice streetscape improvements (which is badly needed) proposal floated around a year or so ago, but not sure the status of it.

All in all, exciting developments, and as usual, it'd be great to see it all progress more quickly!

Back