Toronto Amica at The Balmoral Club | 52.7m | 13s | Amica | Montgomery Sisam

Marcanadian

Member Bio
Reaction score
145 BALMORAL AVE
Ward 12 - Tor & E.York District

The City has received applications to amend the Official Plan and Zoning By-law for a new 15-storey (53.25 metres plus a 6.2-metre mechanical penthouse) long term care facility containing 147 suites with a mix of types providing a continuum of seniors care including memory care suites, assisted living suites, and independent living suites, all of which will be rental in tenure.

Screen Shot 2018-12-20 at 1.05.38 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-12-20 at 1.05.55 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-12-20 at 1.06.10 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-12-20 at 1.06.21 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-12-20 at 1.06.35 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-12-20 at 1.06.59 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-12-20 at 1.07.12 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-12-20 at 1.07.32 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-12-20 at 1.07.40 PM.png

http://app.toronto.ca/DevelopmentAp...icationsList.do?action=init&folderRsn=4500418

well that's just all way too aggressive.

Very reminiscent of the similarly aggressive proposal in Burlington from the same team.

At least these retirement homes don't seem to be doing such derivative faux-historic crap architecture anymore.

At first glance, I thought this was good density and use for the area. However, hiding behind the fact that the application is under 145 Balmoral, this appears to be replacing the existing heritage structure (Balmoral Club Building) on the corner of Balmoral and Avenue, which I do not support.

At first glance, I thought this was good density and use for the area. However, hiding behind the fact that the application is under 145 Balmoral, this appears to be replacing the existing heritage structure (Balmoral Club Building) on the corner of Balmoral and Avenue, which I do not support.
You sure you're not thinking about the heritage structure across the street? I don't think the existing Amica site (which this replaces) is a heritage structure.

We need a lot of these art deco style types of buildings to give the city more class. Too many modern proposals.

Height has been revised downwards to 13 storeys and 49.5 metres (including the mechanical penthouse).

rgbsaed.JPG

(likely faux) stone is out, Black/Charcoal grey brick is in at ground level.

Ground Floor height has been reduced. Looks like the 'arcade' feature is out.

Just noticed the notice went up.View attachment 174042

Old pic, but didn't comment before.

The design is a bit streamlined for my taste, but it has some charm.

The simple adding of the horizontal lines of a contrasting brick really adds something to what otherwise would be a box.

But the modern vestibule............holy @#$#

What was going on at the meeting where one person proposed this and everyone else nodded?

Yow!

That is just hideous. Neither compatible nor an effective contrast.

Moot now, I suppose, as this building's time is coming to an end.

But I still want this documented for architecture school; and for a landlord school that must be started!

This is how NOT to do this.

Vestibules such as the one rendered are a requirement for Ambulance access to these kinds of buildings. Cherry Place at West Don Lands located theirs along the rear so it's not as visible. This is a tighter more urban site.

Back