Toronto Alter | 107.89m | 33s | Tridel | a—A

Thanks for the heads up UD. From Tridel's Facebook page.

alter-tridel.jpg

I dunno .. this has some interesting elements, depending on the materials it could end up being very nice.

Not much grey spandrel going on here, so that gets a thumbs up. It better provide some retail along Church Street. It needs the animation in that area.

It looks white to me. Are you saying what appears to be white panels (to me, anyway) are actually light grey? (or are you just trying to scare me)

UPDATE: Oh, you're right, I do see the grey spandrel, on the tower portion, now that you mention it. I guess I spoke too soon. I should have known to look closer, with Tridel. The podium appears to be mainly white.

For Christ's sake, Tridel, you guys are really starting to piss me off! Could you not use black or white, instead of grey, once in a while or is that too much to ask?

Last edited:
Many Tridel building have appeared white in the rendering, but was built in grey. I'm sure this will be no different.

Yeah but didn't somebody say that Tridel learned their lesson with 300 Front Street West? I thought maybe they were on a new path. Hey, a guy can dream/hope, can't he?

Not a very good image but the entire rendering can be found here: condonow.com/Alter-Condos/Overview

Massive podium. Sticks out, a bit odd. I'll fill this one under "we'll see."

Yeah but didn't somebody say that Tridel learned their lesson with 300 Front Street West? I thought maybe they were on a new path. Hey, a guy can dream/hope, can't he?

Learned lessons? Tridel will be very proud of what they created there, and they made their money. Don't expect any big changes from them in their future designs.

At least it looks like aA is pushing to make the materiality of the podium fairly rich and give a sense of quality, knowing that it will be the biggest effect on the pedestrian / 'people realm' of the city. The tower's aesthetics were probably a lost cause from the very start, with Tridel at the helm.

Last edited:
355 CHURCH ST
Ward 27 - Tor & E.York District

To obtain site plan approval to construct a new mixed use condo building consisting of a four storey podium containing town-house units, a 33 storey mixed use condo tower, and a 29 storey residential condo tower. A total of 335 residential units are proposed with 164 below below grade parking spaces.
Proposed Use --- # of Storeys --- # of Units ---
Applications:
Type Number Date Submitted Status
Site Plan Approval 14 173921 STE 27 SA Jun 13, 2014 Under Review

I know the historical power poles have been mentioned in several Church-street condo threads - they're an odd feature. There are several major projects occurring now along this stretch: could Section 37 funds be applied to a burial project?

Back