Toronto Alter | 107.89m | 33s | Tridel | a—A

i thought it was CWNA. if it's mcgill granby then they are a bit better. not sure which one it is.

The CWNA (Church Wellesley Neighbourhood Association) boundaries are the south side of Charles E. down to the north side of Carlton and the east side of Yonge Street over to the west side of Jarvis Street. It was founded in response to the proposed 25 storey condo development that would have seen most of the heritage block on the west side of Church Street between Dundonald & Gloucester Sts. demolished. They won and the buildings remain intact. Now they have expanded into neighbourhood issues within their borders, they work closely with Councillor Wong-Tam (although independent of her of course) and also with the Church-Wellesley BIA. It's a young Association but they have a very energetic group put together with plenty of good ideas for making the neighbourhood more livable, attractive and safe. They are also working toward studying and getting the enormous amount of worthy heritage buildings designated.

It is McGill-Granby for certain as teh development (and the one on the north side of McGill as well as the proposed tower in that parking lot behind the Primrose) will significantly impact their area and essentially create a wall of condos around the residential area. Add that to the likelylihood that the parking lot west of Church where teh Barn is would be the logical next target and you can see the local association probably has a pretty good case related to over-intensification.

I do think that the Church-Wellesley association would like throw their weight behind the McGill-Granby association as well.
Ultimately, with four large towers planned, one or two of them are likely to be significantly altered or cancelled.

THe most likely ones to success will be the ones behind the Primrose and the one on the northeast corner of Church and McGill.

ALTER condos by Tridel
alter-logo-edm1-500.gif

The struggle between glass box and spandrel. Who will win???!!!??

The City wants higher R values, so I'd say that new fully glazed buildings are soon going to look 'dated'. Look for more spandrel in the future, and hopefully more imaginative cladding like FibreC Okoskin.

Hopefully, Curtainwall and thermal breaks succeed over more spandrel panels

I would much rather the building refer, in its materiality, to the warmer and more domestic context of streets like Granby and McGill than to the colder 60s/70s buildings in the area. The podium massing actually looks good to me for an urban street, but I just wonder if they could warm the whole thing up a bit in this neighbourhood.

Back