Toronto Birch House at Canary Landing | 50.3m | 13s | Dream | Stantec

What's happening with the old Canary diner building?

I can't believe it's just fenced up and unused right now. I would think that would have been timed with the moving-in of area residents.
Assuming I have not misunderstood, I believe that Anishnawbe Health have been given the building, and will renovate it for their purposes, but will return the old Canary Diner space to restaurant uses.

Wasn't the entire block is supposed to be the site of a consolidated AH community centre?

Assuming I have not misunderstood, I believe that Anishnawbe Health have been given the building, and will renovate it for their purposes, but will return the old Canary Diner space to restaurant uses.

I THINK that the land transferred to them is on the west side of Cherry, south of Front. The announcement read "The new Aboriginal Community Health Centre will allow Anishnawbe Health Toronto to consolidate services from its three existing facilities under one roof. The 2.4-acre site is located at the corner of Front and Cherry streets."

I THINK that the land transferred to them is on the west side of Cherry, south of Front. The announcement read "The new Aboriginal Community Health Centre will allow Anishnawbe Health Toronto to consolidate services from its three existing facilities under one roof. The 2.4-acre site is located at the corner of Front and Cherry streets."

It's Block 10

http://www.aboriginalhub.ca/?page_id=15

It's Block 10
And, just to confirm, that's the block that the Canary Restaurant building is on, east of Cherry and south of Front. However, that block is huge, and the existing building is right at the northwest corner of the block, so it may not be part of this particular project.

found these on the Urban Strategies website for the Anishnawbe Health Toronto Aboriginal Hub that is supposed to go on the southeast corner of front and cherry:

aboriginal-hub-concept_slide.png

Is there any requirement that the restaurant building be preserved? Is it designated?

Not sure if it's required, but it's certainly intended, and the building is listed, not designated.

Meanwhile, there was this press release back when the Province first announced the Anishnawbe Health plans here:

Supporting Urban Aboriginal Health, Culture and Economic Growth
Ontario Providing Land Located on Pan Am and Parapan Am Games Site
March 31, 2014 2:00 P.M.
Ministry of Infrastructure

Ontario is moving forward on a historic project that will create more economic opportunities and improve the quality of life for urban Aboriginal Peoples.

The province is transferring a section of land on the site of the Pan Am and Parapan Am Games Athletes' Village to Anishnawbe Health Toronto where dynamic, world-class Aboriginal community health and cultural centres will be built following the Games.

The new Aboriginal Community Health Centre will provide access to traditional Aboriginal and modern health services. Working in partnership with the Ontario government, the Toronto Central Local Health Integration Network, Aboriginal groups, and other public sector organizations, the Aboriginal community cultural hub could include spaces for education, social enterprises and the performing arts.

Infrastructure is part of the government's economic plan that is creating jobs for today and tomorrow. The comprehensive plan and its six priorities focus on Ontario's greatest strengths - its people and strategic partnerships.

Quick Facts
  • The new Aboriginal Community Health Centre will allow Anishnawbe Health Toronto to consolidate services from its three existing facilities under one roof. The 2.4-acre site is located at the corner of Front and Cherry streets.
  • The health centre and community hub will be a key legacy of the Games, providing a meaningful and lasting impact to generations of Aboriginal Peoples in Ontario.
  • Ontario provided $8.9 million in operational funding for Aboriginal Community Health Centres in 2012-13.
  • Other plans for the West Don Lands include residential units, commercial space, childcare and educational facilities, all surrounded by nearly 23 acres of parks and public spaces.
  • In 2011, Ontario provided Anishnawbe Health Toronto approval for a planning and design grant of up to $1.485 million for the planning of the new Aboriginal Community Health Centre.

This will probably speed up the gentrification of Allan Gardens - I imagine their old site on Gerrard is ripe for redevelopment.

Sherbourne and Queen

Back