News   Aug 16, 2019
 2.6K     11 
News   Aug 16, 2019
 948     1 
News   Aug 16, 2019
 1K     0 

Toronto Aboriginal Hub (Anishnawbe Health, ?s, Quadrangle/Stantec)

Torontovibe

Member Bio
Reaction score
I suspect that we will not add new buildings to this thread, but that new ones will get their own. These can be remembered as having been built initially for the Pan Am Games.

Meanwhile, in regards to the term West Don Lands, it remains to be seen over the next several years whether it or The Canary District takes hold as the area's name. West Don Lands is more of a planning term than it is a neighbourhood name, while The Canary District is more of a marketing term than a neighbourhood name. It may have more of a chance if and when the Canary Restaurant reopens.

West Don Lands sounds generic and Canary District, I agree, is just a marketing term, which is why I prefer to call it the Pan-Am Village, which at least refers to something tangible, that occurred in the area. The Pan-Am Games was a major event and a part of the district's history and not just a superficial marketing term.

interchange42

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
What's happening with the old Canary diner building?

I can't believe it's just fenced up and unused right now. I would think that would have been timed with the moving-in of area residents.
Assuming I have not misunderstood, I believe that Anishnawbe Health have been given the building, and will renovate it for their purposes, but will return the old Canary Diner space to restaurant uses.

ChesterCopperpot

Member Bio
Reaction score
Wasn't the entire block is supposed to be the site of a consolidated AH community centre?

DSC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Assuming I have not misunderstood, I believe that Anishnawbe Health have been given the building, and will renovate it for their purposes, but will return the old Canary Diner space to restaurant uses.

I THINK that the land transferred to them is on the west side of Cherry, south of Front. The announcement read "The new Aboriginal Community Health Centre will allow Anishnawbe Health Toronto to consolidate services from its three existing facilities under one roof. The 2.4-acre site is located at the corner of Front and Cherry streets."

ChesterCopperpot

Member Bio
Reaction score
I THINK that the land transferred to them is on the west side of Cherry, south of Front. The announcement read "The new Aboriginal Community Health Centre will allow Anishnawbe Health Toronto to consolidate services from its three existing facilities under one roof. The 2.4-acre site is located at the corner of Front and Cherry streets."
It's Block 10

http://www.aboriginalhub.ca/?page_id=15

Tulse

Member Bio
Reaction score
It's Block 10
And, just to confirm, that's the block that the Canary Restaurant building is on, east of Cherry and south of Front. However, that block is huge, and the existing building is right at the northwest corner of the block, so it may not be part of this particular project.

Rusty

Member Bio
Reaction score
Anishnawbe Health Toronto Aboriginal Hub that is supposed to go on the southeast corner of front and cherry:
Southwest?

DSC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
There is an actual pharmacy in the neighbourhood on King, but it's small and doesn't carry a lot of over the counter stuff.

I am presuming that in the long term these shortcomings will be corrected when more buildings with more retail spaces go in.
If you mean the pharmacy on King at Trinity, it's primarily a methadone dispensary.