Toronto 985 Woodbine | 51.5m | 14s | Choice Properties | Turner Fleischer

AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score

985 WOODBINE AVE
Ward 19 - Tor & E.York District

Official Plan and Zoning By-Law Amendments to permit the redevelopment of the site for a 15¬storey residential mixed-use building along Danforth Avenue "Building A" and a 9¬storey residential building "Building B" along Strathmore Boulevard, containing approximately 31,057 square metres of residential gross floor area and 2,099 square metres of non-residential gross floor area.

All Properties Involved:

2078 DANFORTH AVE, 2086 DANFORTH AVE, 2100 DANFORTH AVE, 2102 DANFORTH AVE, 2106 DANFORTH AVE, 985 WOODBINE AVE

Really interesting to see such a mini-boom for the far flung end of Danforth. There is a fair bit going up in this area now - and it needs it.

985 WOODBINE AVE
Ward 19 - Tor & E.York District

Official Plan and Zoning By-Law Amendments to permit the redevelopment of the site for a 15¬storey residential mixed-use building along Danforth Avenue "Building A" and a 9¬storey residential building "Building B" along Strathmore Boulevard, containing approximately 31,057 square metres of residential gross floor area and 2,099 square metres of non-residential gross floor area.

All Properties Involved:

2078 DANFORTH AVE, 2086 DANFORTH AVE, 2100 DANFORTH AVE, 2102 DANFORTH AVE, 2106 DANFORTH AVE, 985 WOODBINE AVE

View attachment 175824

View attachment 175825

A couple of observations here:

1) Closing the Valumart, at least during construction, will cause some serious grumbling in the community. Loblaws may wish to contemplate either a permanent or temporary location being open
prior to construction. They own/control two nearby parcels, the Shoppers Drug Mart locations near Danforth/Coxwell and Woodbine/O'Connor; The latter, in particular has the requisite site area.

2) Woodbine station can be dangerously overcrowded during major events (Beach fireworks) or when being used to short turn trains. Any redevelopment here should result in an expanded station, which could be paid for, at least in part, by conceding 'air rights' over the existing bus terminal and adjacent parking lot (which the TTC owns)

Just spoke w/the City Planner on this file.

Confirmed that current proposal does not involve the Woodbine Station lands.

But it does involve the current parking lot of the Valumart.

There is a (closed) pedestrian tunnel to that site from the Woodbine Mezzanine as that was the old streetcar loop. Not sure how that part plays out, if at all.

Why nothing on the corner? Surely something better than a single storey retail unit would work.. seems silly.

9 storeys right back to strathmore! (and on the north side, where shadow impacts are worse, no less).

I know that this site was a special case in the Danforth Ave Planning Study Phase 1, but this still has the potential to set precedent for the entire Danforth (the entire city?) if it goes ahead.

Very cool.

9 storeys right back to strathmore! (and on the north side, where shadow impacts are worse, no less).

I know that this site was a special case in the Danforth Ave Planning Study Phase 1, but this still has the potential to set precedent for the entire Danforth (the entire city?) if it goes ahead.

Very cool.

Optical illusion.

The 15 storey building does not include the Woodbine Stn lands.

The 9 storey building steps down to Strathmore.

There are actually 2 storey townhomes fronting Strathmore, then the height jumps to 7 floors, then 9.

This view is from the north-west, looking south-east.

You can see the shorter townhomes bumping out towards Strathmore, in the foreground.

This is from the City's AIC portal.

Thanks @Northern Light. I stand corrected.

Man, why can the TTC not do an integrated development here, add more units, and rebuild Woodbine Station in the first floor of the development? They did it at e.g. One Bloor East.

You're welcome.

Also, I completely agree with you on integrating Woodbine Station into this proposal.

This would benefit both the development which could achieve greater density while also smoothing out the way it does so ...........while allowing some expansion of a very cramped station.

In fairness to the TTC, we don't know if Choice Properties (Loblaws for all intents and purposes) approached the TTC or not; after all they didn't even tell their store operator they were doing this........

Regardless, they (the developer) and the TTC should sit down to review the possibilities and benefits of integrating the station into the development.

@Northern Light Any reasonable developer with half a brain would approach the TTC to explore such opportunities, we all know how difficult it is to work with them though.

Where does the assumption that they did not inform their store operator of the development come from? This is also a silly assumption.

@Northern Light Any reasonable developer with half a brain would approach the TTC to explore such opportunities, we all know how difficult it is to work with them though.

Where does the assumption that they did not inform their store operator of the development come from? This is also a silly assumption.

You are new here, so a word to the wise, I NEVER make silly assumptions, and you would do well to get to know people before making such assumptions of your own.

Second point first.

All I am willing to say at this point is that I know FOR CERTAIN that they did not inform the store operator. Infer what you wish.

As to the TTC, I expressly stated that I don't know what discussions have or have not taken place; only that the proposal, as is, does not serve the best interests of the TTC or the developer.

There is a (closed) pedestrian tunnel to that site from the Woodbine Mezzanine as that was the old streetcar loop. Not sure how that part plays out, if at all.
The old streetcar loop and photos are now part of the parking lot. The tunnel itself daylighted on (mostly at least) the TTC property - that odd little rectangle that had the Garden Centre, that you can see in the new drawings is outside of that development. Though the steps out of the tunnel were removed decades ago. That seems to play no part in the current development.

Until recently there were doors (always kept closed that I've seen) between the station and the grocery store. Those were removed with the recent rebuild and expansion of the subway station main terminal.

All I am willing to say at this point is that I know FOR CERTAIN that they did not inform the store operator.
No one in two associated Weston companies talked to each other? I find that hard to believe. Maybe no one told the store manager ...

The old streetcar loop and photos are now part of the parking lot. The tunnel itself daylighted on (mostly at least) the TTC property - that odd little rectangle that had the Garden Centre, that you can see in the new drawings is outside of that development. Though the steps out of the tunnel were removed decades ago. That seems to play no part in the current development.

Not accurate!

The tunnel still exists, as do the stairs.

Images below linked from Transit Toronto, here: https://transit.toronto.on.ca/subway/5118.shtml

When you enter the tunnel, from a door located on mezzanine level, you first find the staff lounge, occupying the first 1/2 of the space.

subway-5118-08.jpg

Beyond this the old tunnel is used for storage:

subway-5118-12.jpg

subway-5118-13.jpg

This is where the tunnel currently ends, best as I can figure this is the bottom of one more stair case, which was filled in.
subway-5118-15.jpg

This is what the top of that looked like, from the website Station Fixation

IAlTL1buVfrfQWKhSkZOrXHJJJKmka5ge-44wt0TEV2dHgzdhTiTjq9R9-muL1hUFibdCYnxMqP8Zi3l-fntJu5__Tmcb9QeLw_31Bid9uFgJDtY8BXT7UNQfpRsYgTJdVueeP8_Eas=w1449-h966-no

In the photo below, also from Station Fixation, you can see the top of this stair case (note the handrails) towards the upper left of the photo, with a different smaller set of stairs directly accessing the bus platform in the middle right.

dvPzdOn6NE__T-aGK6APqqQ1Uw2H84tvMtO3qgKPS1VtUu1A-DGDUjatV8Ls73bL1jejbohoY6KnjbMUokgLxA4AThknhQ_41C1zT_QcsF19Gby9dKQkhx1j0zx02PLXTiG75zSZgUM=w1418-h966-no

Best as I can discern, the opening for the old stairwell was located at the furthest corner of the existing lot line, which can seen here:

Last edited:
Not accurate!

The tunnel still exists, as do the stairs.
Not sure where I'm wrong. I said the stairs out were gone. And in your post you later say you think they were filled in. I said that the tunnel is on TTC property, and those pictures you showed show that the stairs out were near the edge of the TTC property. So the tunnel must still be on TTC property.

I never said the tunnel was gone ... we've discussed it in other discussions in the past.

Also, you can see the abandoned streetcar tracks on Strathmore still. That should help line up angles on old photographs.

Back