Toronto 929 Queen East | 34.5m | 9s | Core Development | Arch. Unfolded

Idk I think the multiple facades is kind of goofy looking. I’d rather they did one well detailed treatment instead of 4 potentially bad ones. Scale is great though!

Idk I think the multiple facades is kind of goofy looking.

Why? (serious question); I thought it was what most us like about Mirvish (Bathurst). I can't recall your thoughts on that now.........but didn't remember anyone disliking it.

I’d rather they did one well detailed treatment instead of 4 potentially bad ones.

Well sure...........but again..........are they bad? There's a couple of details I'd like to see refined, but I'm down w/the bulk of the idea here.

Scale is great though!

Agreed.

Why? (serious question); I thought it was what most us like about Mirvish (Bathurst). I can't recall your thoughts on that now.........but didn't remember anyone disliking it.

Well sure...........but again..........are they bad? There's a couple of details I'd like to see refined, but I'm down w/the bulk of the idea here.

Agreed.

The architectural quality at Mirvish seems to be a substantial step above what is being proposed here (each facade has depth and enough variation to really sell through the idea of multiple facades, and these treatments are carried up beyond the podium to the towers)

I just think if you're going to go this route you need to think really carefully about each facade treatment - three shades of brick, some rearranging of windows and varied parapet heights just isn't enough in my opinion. I'm ok with more broad facades that aren't as "fine grained" if the pedestrian experience, materials and details are really well thought out. It's ok for buildings to look as big as they actually are if the design is good.

Pardon my hack photoshop job but I think it's mostly just a matter of simplifying things. I know this is less flashy, but it reads (at least to me) as a lot more cohesive and balanced.

Layer 15.png

Last edited:
The architectural quality at Mirvish seems to be a substantial step above what is being proposed here (each facade has depth and enough variation to really sell through the idea of multiple facades, and these treatments are carried up beyond the podium to the towers)

I just think if you're going to go this route you need to think really carefully about each facade treatment - three shades of brick, some rearranging of windows and varied parapet heights just isn't enough in my opinion. I'm ok with more broad facades that aren't as "fine grained" if the pedestrian experience, materials and details are really well thought out. It's ok for buildings to look as big as they actually are if the design is good.

Fair enough. I suppose I'm comparing this less w/Mirvish than w/my own expectations for this type of site based on recent precedents, and on that basis, I'm not at all unhappy w/this.

Updated with a suggestion of how to simplify the design! I just think a less-is-more approach to these kinds of sites is the way to go. It's a small mid block site - doesn't need to cosplay as 5 different buildings.

I see three different surface appearances as you move up from the ground; it's not too much for my tastes, although if I'm so foolish as to take the rendering literally, that dark grey portion at the top seems a bit too drily austere for me. I'd be happy if they went for some actual colour up there - something to echo/complement the brick look at ground level.

Saw the Carvalo on College in person and I was not a fan of the varying brick colours that are similar to what's proposed here.

The new rendering is updated in the database. The height of the building changed from 31.90m to 33.35m. Total car parking changed from 18 parking to 17 parking.

Rendering taken from the architectural plan via Site Plan Approval:

PLN - Architectural Plans - MAY 3  2023 (1)-15.jpg

The new rendering is updated in the database. The unit count changed from 68 units to 69 units. The total car parking was reduced from 17 car parking to 12 car parking. Total bike parking was reduced from 78 bikes to 70 bikes.

Rendering taken from arch plan via Rezoning submission:

Kx2Ey6q0BE.jpeg

Pardon my hack photoshop job but I think it's mostly just a matter of simplifying things. I know this is less flashy, but it reads (at least to me) as a lot more cohesive and balanced.

View attachment 433974
Id rather see the whole thing in red brick. The whole notion that red brick should never extend higher than surrounding historic buildings is ridiculous. All it's done is resulted in neighbourhoods with a colder aesthetic, which is especially apparent in winter months.

The new rendering is updated in the database. The unit count changed from 68 units to 69 units. The total car parking was reduced from 17 car parking to 12 car parking. Total bike parking was reduced from 78 bikes to 70 bikes.

Rendering taken from arch plan via Rezoning submission:

View attachment 507443

Treading sideways............

I'm ok w/the yellow brick bits, they aren't brilliant, but they fit in acceptably..........the broken out building entrance is a non-sequitur for me; I don't see why one needs to do that. The upper levels are 'fine'; though I'd prefer brick all the way up. If one was contrasting the upper levels, I'd rather see black.

Back