Toronto 906 Yonge Street | 139.17m | 40s | Gupta | Arcadis

So basically keeping our zoning bylaws so out of date is a way of getting section 37 benefits and placating NIMBYs? That makes sense, though it's certainly strange. Thank you for explaining it.

Most of Toronto's zoning hasn't really been updated since the mid 1970s... there are areas of North York that still have 1950s era zoning.

There is a major disconnect in the planning system with provincial policy attempting to reduce sprawl and promote intensification, yet municipal planning policy is stuck in a 1970s mentality and not in any way reflective of current economic, social or environmental realities - this creates tremendous conflict in the planning process.

Further exacerbating the process is the disconnect between the Zoning Bylaw and the updated Official Plan (which has to be updated every 5 years under the Planning Act). Under the reign of Paul Bedford as Chief Planner, all density and height limits were removed from the OP, in an attempt to reduce Official Plan Amendments for almost every application and to promote a more urban design-oriented based on compatibility of built-form, not on just numbers (even the "Kings", the King/Spadina and King/Parliament Plans focused on height limits). Very few OPA's now occur, but practically everything is a rezoning.

Is the hotel still planned for this project?

Not anymore:

a company spokesperson told the Town Crier the developer abandoned plans for a hotel after meeting with neighbours on its own.

“Although my dad is disappointed he won’t become a hotelier, he never wanted to upset anyone and I think the agreement we reached is good for everyone involved, including the city,” Dalglish said.

Tang says that while Ridpath wishes to solicit more feedback before submitting its revision, the company promised neighbours that the Yonge Street tower will rise no higher than 13 storeys, while the McMurrich tower will be a maximum of 35 storeys.

http://www.mytowncrier.ca/viewstory.php?tid=19376

Any update with this project now that we are in 2015. I believe great time for them to launch here. Yorkville/Yonge is a hot commodity now.

Walking by Ridpath's this evening and the paper covering the windows has been replaced and lights were on—paper was also replaced next door at the former Christine's fitness at 912 Yonge. The flooring store next to Christine's is also moving, and the retail unit next to that sports the same fresh paper over the windows.

Arguably, this deserves a new thread, but I'll stick it here for now.

Same site; new lobbying effort:

1626893173400.png

Details for Subject Matter Registration: SM32058​

Decision(s) or issue(s) to be lobbied

Zoning By-law amendment for a proposed redevelopment at 906 Yonge Street & 25 McMurrich Street.

Eastons Group is behind this one.

They do have the experience when it comes to squeezing in density for oddly shaped sites just like at the Rosedale on Bloor, with the main tower at the front along with the rear section on Selby. 🤷‍♂️

Back