Toronto 9 Oxford | 87.95m | 26s | Trolleybus | SvN

AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Upcoming redevelopment of low-rise residential properties in the Eglinton West & Weston Road area, assembled by Trolleybus:

1ox.JPG

1ox2.JPG

Currently on site:

1ox3.JPG

Last edited:
This site is adjacent to and will back onto the 8 Locust St project. I'm curious if Fengate will snap up this property as well or if it'll be someone else

ZBA application submitted:

Development Applications

No project description available yet.

Project description now available:
The proposed development will have a podium element with ground-level units. The podium will rise to 4 storeys as the street wall height, with the 5th and 6th storeys stepped back from the street. The tower portion will step back further and sit atop the podium and rise to 26 storeys. The building will have 3 levels of underground parking with a vehicle access from Oxford Drive on the south side of the site. Service vehicles will access from Oxford Drive on the north side of the site.

Love the unapologetic simplicity of the exterior here. Very elegant.

Most of the balconies are so shallow they're absolutely useless, though.

These ones on the fifth and sixth floors are basically a metre deep, based on the balcony guard being set back from the slab edge fairly deeply:
1647286215113.png

The tower floors aren't much better, either. (Excepting the east-facing units, which have balconies that are closer to a standard balcony depth, and might be somewhat useable)
1647286519113.png

Love the unapologetic simplicity of the exterior here. Very elegant.

Most of the balconies are so shallow they're absolutely useless, though. These ones on the fifth and sixth floors are basically a metre deep, based on the balcony guard being set back from the slab edge fairly deeply:
The tower floors aren't much better, either. (Excepting the east-facing units, which have balconies that are closer to a standard balcony depth, and might be somewhat useable)
Are there specific balcony size standards? In London, the London Plan sets 5m2 minimum for a 1-2 person dwelling, with 1sqm additional per additional occupant - and a minimum width and depth of 1.5m. (e.g. a 3 bedroom, 5 person apartment would need a 8m2 balcony)

I'm continually surprised by the number of single aspect units, too - even north/south facing ones!

I'd never thought i'd see the day where Weston Road gets proposals which are much more elegant compared to Downtown Toronto.

Regarding the 1 metre balcony width, that's pretty pathetic but i've seen worse (i'm talking ~60-70 cm in width).

I mean, to me the counterpoint isn't so much "big balconies" as it is "no balconies." Lots of perfectly livable spaces have no balconies, and this is a couple steps removed from that -- no balconies and juliet balconies being the first two stops on that continuum.

I mean, to me the counterpoint isn't so much "big balconies" as it is "no balconies." Lots of perfectly livable spaces have no balconies, and this is a couple steps removed from that -- no balconies and juliet balconies being the first two stops on that continuum.

I have a balcony, and make good use of it; in an average year, I grow about 80 plants, I also have 2 chairs, a small table, and enjoy the odd meal 'al fresco'.

That said, I appreciate that not everyone wants or needs a balcony.

So I have a couple of takes that are derived from that:

1) If balconies are to be provided; they should ideally have a certain functional minimum size (allowing one to dine outdoors for example) and shape. That last bit is important.
The tendency on most older slab balconies is to go about 4ft (130cm wide); that's just a little shy of what you need if you're going to have a modest size patio table and chairs, and the ability to walk around on one side to sit on the other. I would argue for a minimum peak-width (the shape could be semi-circular as opposed to just a larger rectangle) in the range of 2M, (which it must maintain for a distance of at least 1M.

I'd also argue for an external plug, an external light fixture, wide doors into the condo/apartment, and if feasible, a water spigot (would make watering plants so much easier).

2) If you can't deliver reasonable functional minimum space, then don't bother. But, you need to provide a larger interior space so people don't feel claustrophobic, and either have good outdoor space at-grade/roof level, or a very close
park of quality.

Back