Project Essentials / dataBase – detailed project information, floor plans, renderings
Projects & Construction Thread
898-900 Saint Clair Avenue West 
898 Saint Clair Avenue West, Toronto
Developer: Main and Main

898-900 Saint Clair Avenue West | 44m | 12s | Main and Main | Quadrangle | Page 2

Discussion in 'Buildings' started by AlbertC, Dec 13, 2015.

1. innsertnamehere

innsertnamehere Superstar

It doesn't look incredible, but it's not bad. I like the use of brick all the way up.

The architecture is always cheaper on dedicated rental buildings - they just don't have the budget that condos do.

2. Mithras

Mithras Active Member

Old One:
    [​IMG]

New One:
    [​IMG]
    You tell me. Does this look better? Higher quality? I would say that the process is the cheapening of the finishes and blunting of the architecture to lower costs. The Developer would be the one to blame.

3. ProjectEnd

ProjectEnd Senior Member

Actually, while there is some truth to this currently, it's going to change drastically in the coming years as more and more purpose-built rental comes online. The logic is that if a developer is going to keep an asset on its books and in its marketing material (if they don't sell or contract the asset to a property management company), it's going to become increasingly incumbent on them that buildings are of a quality that reflects the aspirations of their creator(s). In this vein (and from everyone I know) the next generation of rental buildings are going to become more, not less, interesting.

The real question is: did you expect that it was going to look like the initial rendering?

Once a building begins the municipal process the city is going to demand certain things, the developer must then revisit the design, program & resulting costs, the architect is going to have to find ways to comply, and the finished project is going to change. Remember, because of this process (essentially unique to Toronto in terms of its complexity and uncertainty), what is initially proposed is almost never what is built so expectations have to be adjusted accordingly. This building in particular has not had an easy time with Planning and many changes to the initial concept were demanded by the department. In light of this, 'cheapening' is a facile and neanderthalic term for what is actually very complex and multi-layered negotiation.

But yeah, let's just 'blame' someone / thing, it sure seems to be working south of the border...

AlbertC and ADRM like this.
  4. AlbertC

AlbertC Senior Member

Looks pretty decent, and contributes to the incremental intensification along St. Clair.

On the topic of rental building qualities. The various Oben Flats projects across the city are certainly setting a higher standard. Likewise with the initiatives being established by Westbank on the Honest Ed's/Mirvish Village redevelopment.

Lenser and ProjectEnd like this.
  5. AlbertC

AlbertC Senior Member

6. ChesterCopperpot

ChesterCopperpot Senior Member

AlbertC, coldblood and someMidTowner like this.
  7. UrbanFervour

UrbanFervour Active Member

I like the mismatched brick. I hope it's executed well.

8. jje1000

jje1000 Senior Member

Interesting seeing those random satellite dishes and AC units on the building. I suppose there was some miscommunication?

I think this is a building which will turn out quite nicely as long as the window and brick quality is good.

9. junctionist

junctionist Senior Member

The brick facade gives the building an unusual rustic or industrial character, which is likable. The setbacks also help give it an identity. But it looks like it's missing a focal point beyond the glass section, which seems out of place and unresolved. The building somehow looks bland even with the bricks and setbacks, like it could be some forgettable 1990s PoMo infill project.

10. milanista

milanista Active Member

Wow is there actually going to be a building that is brick all the way up? That's pretty rare these days

11. ProjectEnd

ProjectEnd Senior Member

That is the plan, yes.

12. PMT

PMT Senior Member

upload_2017-8-17_16-44-45.

13. iDANIEL

iDANIEL Active Member

I heard this development is on hold.

14. mikejb

mikejb New Member

I think all Main and Main projects would be on hold unless they were the few not sold last week.

iDANIEL likes this.
  15. drum118

drum118 Superstar

Construction has started on Dundas and Aukland site