Toronto The Hampton | 123.13m | 38s | Collage Works | BDP Quadrangle

Automation Gallery

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
More density for that area, and it's a rental:)

89 ROEHAMPTON AVE
Ward 22 - Tor & E.York District

Proposal for rezoning related to a new 36 storey rental apartment building containing 236 units to be built adjacent to the existing rental apartment building will which contain 130 units
Proposed Use --- # of Storeys --- # of Units ---
Applications:
Type Number Date Submitted Status
Rezoning 16 112811 STE 22 OZ Feb 4, 2016 Under Review

Last edited by a moderator:
It's like developers think this is the Entertainment District or Manhattan just south of Central Park or something.

It really is remarkable how many proposals there are in this area. It cannot be more clear that the Relief Line needs to be built as far north as Eglinton ASAPP (as soon as politically possible). The Yonge Line is going be beyond insane.

Got a friend living in that mid-rise on the right. I wonder if he knows. I'm sure he'll be thrilled (not). He's already witnessed a lot of changes in the immediate vicinity over the past few years.

I doubt there is really that much demand in the area.. I can easily see Yonge Eglinton becoming the next King Spadina with overstock issues. At least it means rents may drop a bit in the area.

I doubt there is really that much demand in the area.. I can easily see Yonge Eglinton becoming the next King Spadina with overstock issues. At least it means rents may drop a bit in the area.
I have to disagree. This is perhaps one of the most desirable areas to live in in the entire city. Excellent schools, quick access to downtown amenities and employment, parks and green spaces, and soon, the Eglinton Crosstown and Eglinton Connects.

It's like developers think this is the Entertainment District or Manhattan just south of Central Park or something.

It really is remarkable how many proposals there are in this area. It cannot be more clear that the Relief Line needs to be built as far north as Eglinton ASAPP (as soon as politically possible). The Yonge Line is going be beyond insane.

The thing about all this development, is that is will be absent from the Eglinton Crosstown numbers. We are talking about well over ten thousand new condo and rental units that are walking distance from Yonge-Eglinton station. Walk-in traffic will be ENORMOUS.

This is why I keep on screaming about capacity issues at Yonge-Eglinton's tiny tiny station platform.

And we are steps in approving the Scarborough-Malvern LRT project interlined with the Crosstown, with the however many of the 5000 users who will choose to continue to Line 1 rather than transfer at Kennedy. The Relief Line up to Eglinton is becoming a necessity!

Agreed. Part of getting the Relief Line designed and funded must be a commitment to immediately continue the planning and design work for the extension to Eglinton, followed by another extension to Sheppard.

As a west end guy myself (woohoo, West End!), I badly want to see the Relief Line extended west as well (especially important as far as Liberty Village), but I recognize getting it up to Eglinton and Don Mills first is essential. People moving into 89 Roehampton and several other Yonge & Eg developments, and everything south of it, need the Relief Line as soon as it can happen.

This is why I keep on screaming about capacity issues at Yonge-Eglinton's tiny tiny station platform.

I imagine that as they move Eglinton's Line 1 platform some 50m north as a part of the Crosstown interchange, they'll be able to improve the access and flow/

Correct. They are moving the station platform north by a few hundred metres. It is the same tiny middle platform that was built when the Yonge Line opened in 1954 when Eglinton was farmland.

I have to disagree. This is perhaps one of the most desirable areas to live in in the entire city. Excellent schools, quick access to downtown amenities and employment, parks and green spaces, and soon, the Eglinton Crosstown and Eglinton Connects.
There is indeed a large amount of demand. But it can be satisfied, and the amount of stock currently proposed is simply insane. Others have mentioned over 10,000 units. The market may be strong, but I simply don't see it absorbing 10,000 units over a period of 5 or so years. King Spadina had insane demand 5 years ago too, and now that thousands of new units have come online, the market is saturated.

Different areas go through these phases. In the 2000's NYCC had a huge amount of new construction, and the market saturated. King Spadina, same thing. Now its Yonge Eglinton and Yonge Street north of Dundas.

This might be off topic. But when an location starts to get developed fast with big projects like in this area. Do the buildings create an underground path for each other for shopping etc? Or is it just located in the downtown financial district?

It's not just in the financial district, no, but it's pretty limited beyond it. E Condos will have a connection under Yonge Street to the Yonge Eglinton Centre and the Eglinton Subway & Crosstown station, but it's highly unlikely to extend to any adjacent buildings for a long time. 89 Roehampton is definitely too far away to connect.

Development sign went up over the weekend and just remembered to post these pics. Here's what it looks like

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2,599
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2,356
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg