Toronto 89 Avenue Yorkville | 76.5m | 20s | Armour Heights | Richard Wengle

I don't like the intentionally offset entrance. Would it kill them to put it in the middle? I guess that's just a way to make it look hip and edgy?

how anyone could be excited by these renders is beyond me. It's a box with a very busy and irregular cladding. So what? Now we know what happened to all those aluminum tinsel christmas trees...

It's refreshing to see a proposal that doesn't rely on a facade of transparent overhanging balconies. No balconies in sight, actually. Ahhh

how anyone could be excited by these renders is beyond me. It's a box with a very busy and irregular cladding. So what? Now we know what happened to all those aluminum tinsel christmas trees...

I repeat, we can't all be Niagara Falls...

HILTON_NiagaraFallsExterior.jpg

Just because he isn't thrilled with this particular aA design doesn't mean he wants Niagara Falls schlock. There's lots of middle ground.

I'm far from aA's biggest fan but the tower portion is quite interesting. I wouldn't label it busy, but rather dynamic. If those are indeed shades that can be controlled by the occupant, the constantly changing mosaic of the facade would be attention grabbing at the very least. Original, for Toronto.

At street level however it appears a little too minimalist.

Another boutique hotel chain similar to Thompson is Kimpton Hotels. This would be a good spot for Kimpton.

This exact thought came to my mind this afternoon- I'm staying at The Hotel Burnham in Chicago this weekend and I am beyond excited. I Would love to see a Waldorf=Astoria, Peninsula, Mandarin Oriental, etc but obviously not for this site. Kimpton would work very well and I'm sure they've been eyeing Toronto for potential expansion

Would it kill them to put it in the middle? I guess that's just a way to make it look hip and edgy?

The door to my house is on the right side, allowing for a larger window in the front room. My house is 100 years old. Given the narrowness of the site, the entrance on one side appears to accomplish the same thing. Looks more practical to me than hip and edgy.

I'm curious what the cladding is, it has an effect almost like some islamic architecture.

This exact thought came to my mind this afternoon- I'm staying at The Hotel Burnham in Chicago this weekend and I am beyond excited. I Would love to see a Waldorf=Astoria, Peninsula, Mandarin Oriental, etc but obviously not for this site. Kimpton would work very well and I'm sure they've been eyeing Toronto for potential expansion

You'll love Hotel Burnham. I have stayed at Kimpton hotels in DC. Every Kimpton has its own unique look it, none of the Kimpton hotels look alike, these hotels are a nice change from the cookie cutter luxury hotels.

As for Waldorf=Astoria, Peninsula, Mandarin Oriental, and even St Regis. those hotels tend to have 200 plus rooms. Not sure if Toronto's downtown can handle another 5 star large scale hotel.

Back