Toronto 888 Dupont | 53.9m | 14s | TAS | SA

Froggy

Member Bio
Reaction score
Two friends of mine renting a unit in the building received this letter a few days ago. Not sure what's going on, for now, and I couldn't find any kind of application. From what I understand, TAS and Mavi Developments are one company.

The building is on the northeast corner of Dupont and Ossington and consists of studio units, where many artists can rent a relatively cheap space, which is getting relatively hard to find in the area these days.

tas888dupontletter.png

Screen shot 2018-02-12 at 8.44.58 PM.png

Picture from Google Maps

Attachments

• Screen shot 2018-02-12 at 8.44.58 PM.png
    Screen shot 2018-02-12 at 8.44.58 PM.png
    552.7 KB · Views: 7,294
  • tas888dupontletter.png
    tas888dupontletter.png
    607.5 KB · Views: 6,714
That building is so ugly in its present state, but artists need affordable spaces. It might actually be a handsome turn-of-the-century industrial building beneath all the paint and panelling.

That building is so ugly in its present state, but artists need affordable spaces. It might actually be a handsome turn-of-the-century industrial building beneath all the paint and panelling.

Yeah, I've always had a soft spot for it (or at least its presumed beautified state); if this is to be redeveloped (and assuming that preservation of any sort would be out of the question), I'd love to see a materiality and design language that pays homage to the current structure.

While growing up this building has always been an enigma for me, but I've come to eventually appreciate it for the versatile and accommodating uses that it provides to its tenants. I'm open towards redevelopment, but I do think it would be a loss on certain functional aspects. This along with the glass warehouse at Dovercourt are two interesting urban fabric buildings that captures Dupont's industrial character.

Last edited:
From RENX:

TAS provides updates on its Toronto developments

TAS purchased 888 Dupont, a mixed-use commercial and residential development project at Dupont Street and Ossington Avenue in Toronto, more than a year ago. It’s home to 30 commercial tenants, photographers, fashion designers and jewellers.

“We were fortunate to have space available for Walnut Studios, who relocated 10 artists after a fire damaged their space last year,” said Mortazavi. “In terms of development, we are just beginning the engagement process with the City of Toronto.”

TAS just purchased the Brick building at 289 Geary. They are really bullish on Dupont it appears.

I would agree that it's run down or appears poorly maintained, but not that it's ugly. I like it too. It's nicely proportioned, unpretentious, has real industrial heritage, and sits at the end of a slight view terminus where Dupont comes on an angle (heading eastbound). The window mullions are a real point of interest. I hope that whatever happens here is respectful.

I would agree that it's run down or appears poorly maintained, but not that it's ugly. I like it too. It's nicely proportioned, unpretentious, has real industrial heritage, and sits at the end of a slight view terminus where Dupont comes on an angle (heading eastbound). The window mullions are a real point of interest. I hope that whatever happens here is respectful.
Maybe ugly is the wrong word, there's just something gritty about it that is hard to come by these days,makes it unique and I've always wondered what the story was behind the building. Sort of reminds me of movies from the 80s like " big trouble in little china"

Not necessarily a direct mention, but The Star's article on 7 Labatt Ave mentions about TAS' other properties in the city, which also sounds like a possible reference to 888 Dupont:

The building at 7 Labatt Ave. is one of three in Toronto offered by TAS as temporary space before development begins.

“Wherever possible, TAS incorporates affordable workspaces that support creativity and culture,” said Mazyar Mortazavi, the company’s CEO, in an email to The Star. “We do this because finding space to live and work has become a critical issue. Cities are facing massive growth; we’re not prepared to address the influx of people and infrastructure demands.”

Mortazavi said the leases all include clauses that allow for termination once the redevelopment process is underway. He says the company will work with artists to support their transition to new spaces.

888 DUPONT ST
Ward 11 - Tor & E.York District

Official Plan & By-law Amendment application to facilitate the development of the site for a proposed 13-storey mixed-use building comprised of 99 residential live-work units, of which, 13 are proposed to be affordable dwelling units, and 7256 square metres of non-residential floor area. The proposal will also include 94 vehicular parking spaces within a below grade stacker system.

Yeah, that's weird, alright. A couple of angular carbuncles on one of the faces adds unnecessary business but on the whole I like how it breaks up. The two-toned glass might be a mistake though. There's already plenty going on, considering how carved up the massing is.

Back